Why ya pickin' on my homie, bro?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

David Pennybaker

Why ya pickin' on my homie, bro?

Post by David Pennybaker »

Sorry about the title, I just couldn't resist. Image

While Toby Keith isn't exactly from my hometown, it's close enough. I'm from Norman, OK, and his hometown is Moore, OK (about 10 miles north, between Norman and OKC). I think he now resides (or has a ranch) in Norman, though.

I guess Toby and his new album ("Pull My Chain" ?) has done quite well on radio, and ruffled a few feathers here. LOL -- to be expected, I guess (the latter).

I guess Toby's found a niche with that type of song (one with "attitude"), and right now, anyway, the public loves them (for whatever reasons).

I'll have to admit I find his latest single 'What About Me' kinda catchy and cute. I don't hate it, but I do think it's overplayed. And I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, or songs like that.

Let's hope Toby can shake the image for his next album. Might be tough to do, especially if more singles like that do well. How many more of them does he have on that album, anyway?

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

If Toby's music career fails he will probably continue to make enough money to survive from his telephone/television commercials with Terry Bradshaw!
Mark Tomeo

Post by Mark Tomeo »

I saw him live last year and also on some TV thing where he played "How Do You Like Me Now?" with a long line of cheerleaders.
I think he's a mediocre talent with a wildly overblown ego.
But if this me, me, me thing is working for him - hey, who can argue with success?
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

I've been told the Toby Keith has toiled at the fringes of country popularity for years and years, doing material most of us would deem as closer to "real country music" and he got absolutely nowhere.
The sad fact is, when he changed to a more commercial style, his career took off.
I'm not saying I like it.... quite the contrary. I'm reminded of 1958, when Alvin And The Chipmunks cleaned up on the charts.
As I've said before, the general public is really, really, really stupid. Image
I'm not sure if I can blame him.
-John
<i> Once upon a time, McDonald's was just this nice little mom-and-pop restaurant on the corner, that served great hamburgers...
David Pennybaker

Post by David Pennybaker »

<SMALL>I'm reminded of 1958, when Alvin And The Chipmunks cleaned up on the charts.</SMALL>
Christmas, Christmas time is here
Time for toys and time for cheer
We've been good but we can't last
Hurry Christmasn, hurry fast

I want a plane that loops the loop
Me, I want a hula-hoop
We can hardly stand the wait
Please Christmas don't be late

(runs and hides in embarassment) Image

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons