TO Country

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Peggy Poovey

TO Country

Post by Peggy Poovey »

Would like to hear comments from everyone on the New Brad Paisley song To Country. You can hear the steel,also guests include Jones,Owens and Anderson. Thanks.

Peggy Poovey

------------------
Ray Jenkins

Post by Ray Jenkins »

I think thats the song Bill Anderson wrote,"Too Country"If it's the same song it just seems to explain why true country isn't played on the radio. ImageRay

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ray Jenkins on 29 May 2001 at 01:32 PM.]</p></FONT>
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Yes it is the Bill Anderson song. I got emotionel the first time I heard it on the opry last summer.
I recomend Bill's album A Lot Of Things Different also

As for Paisleys new album It's in route to me from Amazon.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Robby Thomas

Post by Robby Thomas »

just picked it up today.
The first thing I noticed was the Steel way out front. They really went all out.
The band is hot! Mike Johnson is wonderful on steel and brad ain't to bad on the ole geeetar. Think I even heard some C6 in there.
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

What is the name of the CD? I don't believe I have heard anything off of it yet...
Peggy Poovey

Post by Peggy Poovey »

I do not know the name of the CD. The radio station here is playing the song, if I hear the name of CD I will post it. Maybe Janice can tell us?

Peggy Poovey

------------------
Henning Antonsen

Post by Henning Antonsen »

The name of the CD is "Part II". I just got it, most of it is very good (not your average Nashville ála 2001 cr@p). Amazing steel work on some of the cuts.

------------------
Henning Antonsen
Emmons LeGrande III

erik

Post by erik »

I have not heard this song, but i think these kinds of songs can be polarizing. I am working on one and have decided to make it more of a homage to the old and get on with life type of thing. I think this is a better approach.

Graham

Post by Graham »

erik:
Not having heard the song, you are missing the whole point of it. It alludes to what is going on a lot today in so-called "country music", on a lot of so-called "country stations".. Like the station in New York that sent back a release by Alan Jackson asking that the "steel" be moved way down in the mix because it was "Too Country". Personally, I think there is room on the airwaves for both the new and the old but it has come down to strictly money, which has dis-enfranchised a lot of us who prefer listening to "real", not "so-called" country music.

As a player, ask yourself the question - "How can it be "too country" if it has steel guitar in it??" Then get hold of Alan's new CD and listen to Paul Franklins' playing on it. I'm betting you don't return it to the label and ask them to bury the steel in the mix because it is "Too Country".

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Steve Allison

Post by Steve Allison »

Thanks Graham,

I think we are misunderstood by wanting our music "country"!

I personally believe that music is like bar-b-que and everyone has there own opinion of "the worlds best". What You & I IMHO don't like is a bunch of kids that call themselves "country" and a bunch of money hungry recording exe's tryin' to weasel in on the folks like us by callin it "country"!

They can't play a Ray Price shuffle or any country music smooth and pretty or with the honest simplicity that we were raised on because they, by the ways of the world today, don't have it in the heart. If you can't feel it and understand it, then you can't play it either.

"Don't pi$$ down my back and tell me it's raining" <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steve Allison on 02 June 2001 at 06:59 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Allison

Post by Steve Allison »

Thanks B Cole!

I play in honky tonks and have been for 25 yrs. or so and I have nothing against any music as long as everyone is on the same page.
I just see things that bother me in quite the majority of musicians in this area that seem to be annoying me more as time goes along.
Such as;
PLaying songs and not being able to get them right because they don't for some reason know the history behind the tunes that they try to play.

Lead guitar players that can't play anything but "fuzz" guitar in so called country bands.

Keyboard players that have forgotten how a good piano is supposed to sound and for some reason think that horns and basoons would probably sound better on an Earnest Tubb song because you know they have never heard an Earnest Tubb song in there life nor will they try or care to!

I believe that we have at least on the major hits of country today, an overall better sounding and more technically in tune generation of steel players that can not be "turned loose" by the "company";

I also believe that the listening public (majority) generally don't have the feelings about things that we used to. This is the part that bothers me most about the direction that life in THIS COUNTRY is taking...
Bowie Martin

Post by Bowie Martin »

Graham, what is Allan Jackson's latest CD? Not sure that I have it; is it the one with www.memory on it? Also, the Part II cd sure has some hot picking on it, sure hope that my band doesn't expect me to duplicate what is on the record, except in slow motion and with a lot of faking...
Steven Welborn

Post by Steven Welborn »

For years there was only one country venue in Ventura,CA. where you could go hear live country band (and they didnt even have a steel). Now that club features acts that do tributes to Led Zep,etc. Today i saw their add in the paper proudly exclaiming,"were no longer country!". So why wont the "country" radio stations say that???<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Steven Welborn on 02 June 2001 at 03:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
TomP

Post by TomP »

The state of country music today reflects the state of all types of music. Serious study of traditional styles and playing-not only so you can copy a style or tune-but so you can develop your own solid, based-in-knowledge, style is a lost way of approaching music, it seems. The migration of banal pop styling into country music hurts country music, but it has also hurt other styles the exact same way.
The majority of listeners out there have no idea what is musically and styistically hip. They only know what is ADVERTISED. They wouldn't know a diminished chord from a pinto bean! WE, as musicians who care, need to urge every producer, promoter, player, artist (the sangers), to dig in, study your history, and if you still want to sound like "The Carpenters Visit Nashville" or even "John Denver Sings the Real Blues" , go eat lye!

------------------
-Tom www.tompowell.org
Graham

Post by Graham »

Bowie:
That is the most current CD release of his up here in Canada. Paul does some great playing on it. The song "A Love Like That" is as pretty a country song as you'll ever hear and the steel is right out front.

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

The bottom line here is, that we who like the good stuff, are Too smart!
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Graham,
Alan's new cd sounds like real country. Thanks, I'll add it to my list! Theresa
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Getting back to Brad's cd.
I remeber hearing I'm gonna miss her live last summer.
When it comes to the song Too Country though
I like Bill Andersons solo version better.
That intro the Old Rugged Cross takes us back to that great night last winter when Brad was asked to join the opry.