Terri Clark
Jim and Jessie
Hank Williams 3rd

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Latina

Post by Latina »

And it goes without saying that those who played steel on the Opry tonight did so quite well and sounded absolutely fantastic Image
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

Tommy W filled in well as always.
Who was playing behind Del Reeves?
Jim Lauderdale was a pleasant surprize
Be sure and take note of kayton Roberts technique.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Kayton Roberts was with Hank Williams III and blew me away as usual. They announced after commercial that he (Kayton) got a standing ovation, very rare on the Opry. Image

Tommy had me picking my chin up off the floor again with his rides and backup. I even got to see his wife positioning herself in front of him before one of his rides.

I've set me VCR to tape it when it comes on again later this evening. This one is definitely a keeper! Image
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Big Jim Webb is Del Reeves steeler.
Big Jim use to work at the Sho-Bud store on Broadway in the 70's.
Bill Crook

Post by Bill Crook »

Boy, am I ever gonna get flamed here....

I wasen't impressed at all with the Hank Williams III performance. The hat act seem more than phony to me, His rendition of whatever song he attempted to sing was the pitts,(coundn't carry a tune in two buckets)I saw nothing to indicate that this kid would ever become a staple of the Opry.

Am I expecting too much from the younger set ?

Do the kids expect instant fame just because they carry a icon's surname ?

I fear the Opry's in for a long dark time before we see any true changes back to country music.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I don't usually get involved with this sort of subject but--although I didn't mind HankIII I was aware while watching him that his real stage show consists of some retro style stuff and then some much harder rocking. It's hard to know whether he is patronizing the Opry crowd with a performance like last night's or if he is sincere.
But like I said, maybe he didn't knock me out but I thought he was ok.
And Kayton, man. Kayton.
kyle reid

Post by kyle reid »

Bill Crook! You will never get flamed by anyone of intelligence! When B. Anderson was interviewing Hank3 He acted like he could care less about anything or anybody. How about the western shirt, with the sleeves cut off? I remember seeing him on Prime Time Country, about 3yrs ago, with a fantastic band,those guys are long gone,No wonder why! too bad he has to keep the family tradition so consistant! kr
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Hank the third simply had Kayton that drew my attention and the words to his second song showed some bad taste on his part..Looked more like a punk rock act except for the great steel work by KR..The Derailers definatly have that good ole Buck sound,even looked like Don Rich's old Tele and what more can you say about TW..real good show.Had to watch it twice.. Image

------------------
CJC

Neil Hilton

Post by Neil Hilton »

you bet, am a real fan of the Derailers and was pleased that they did "Sing me 'Waltz of the Angels'" - surely Lefty Frizzell and Wynn Stewart were listening in with approval as well.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm reading so much about this show, and the great steel playing from (at least!) two remarkable players, that I'm really sorry I missed it!!!
Would anyone who's got it on tape AND has the facility to do so be prepared to make me a copy? Naturally, I'd be more than happy to offset any expense involved...
I just love Tommy's playing - he's firmly in my personal top five steel guitarists!
Peter Dollard

Post by Peter Dollard »

Is it possible that Tommy White mesmerized the Darailers?. They seemed overwhelmed by the beauty of one particular instrumental flight of fancy by the great "W" and came in late and confused with their vocal. Ah Tommy you are the man!!!!.Thanks for the ride Mr. White.Pete
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I agree with Bill. If his name wasn't Hank III he would have never been on the GOO
I wouldn't buy it.

Rick

------------------
Rick Johnson