Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Janice Brooks

Opry live July 8

Post by Janice Brooks »

Jim Ed Brown will host
Craig Morgan

Connie Smith
Daryle Singletary

Morgan is a new singer whose album came out the end of May. i listened to 1 sample and there is some steel in the backround. www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TCPQ/o/qid=962765970/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_pm_1_1/103-4769436-5163858

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Janice Brooks on 04 July 2000 at 08:02 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Glad to see Daryle is still hanging in there. He's had some good and country hits...

What's he been up to lately?

It looks like a good linup to me.

------------------
HagFan
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

For as much dissing as we have done to the Opry staff,I see only positive things happening.I think it would be nice to commend Pete Fisher for a change.The Opry certainly is still Country .Now if he would only get Dale Watson back for a live segment. Image

------------------
CJC

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Joe, I hate to be a pessimist, but are the tradional pickers on there because they are the only ones available??

Or, has the Opry management been made to "see the light"???

Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Could be a little of both,Pete fisher did send me a very nice e-mail answer to a e-mail i sent him. Judging from the new mingled with the old he hasn't done all that bad.

------------------
CJC

Al Udeen

Post by Al Udeen »

All it takes is Connie Smith to Make it a Show for All!!! Darn I have to play Fri&Sat! Ill'Tape it for Sure! Al
Bob Putnam

Post by Bob Putnam »

Johnny Cox is now playing steel for Connie Smith so that makes it even better!

Bob Putnam
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I was disappointed at Daryl Singletary. I thought he was going to be a more traditional country singer rather than be like a lot of them - come out country to start and then go to the Nashville pop sound. But I heard a song yesterday that sounded like I was listening to a an easy listening station except the singer had a southern drawl. After the song was played they commented it was Daryl Singletary. It was a good cut, if you like pop music.
Bob Putnam

Post by Bob Putnam »

Johnny Cox,

Just watched the Opry and they had at least 6 shots of Johnny Cox, including his solo. Way to go Johnny! See you in a day or so. Hope you'll make the NTSGA Super Jam on Tuesday 7/11 at the Bell Cove Club in Hendersonville.

Bob Putnam
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

There was steel the whole way thru tonight but the ladies stole the show.
Connie was awsum and it was good to get Goldie Hill out for a rare appearence.

Craig Morgan has come a long way from a kid who could sneak in the opry, thru military experience to try singing.

As for Darrel S that song seemed country enouth for my standerds.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Mike Weirauch

Post by Mike Weirauch »

FANTASTIC!!!!!
Fred Murphy

Post by Fred Murphy »

Connie and Johnny tore em up. Wasn't that great? Why can't record producers hear that and see that it wasn't just a polite applause, it was overwhelming. I can't wait till country gets back like it's supposed to be. If we could only have an hour like that every Saturday,I would pay extra cable fees for it. Somehow, someone got the idea that you had to be a hounddog singer under a big hat to be country. It just ain't so.
Jackie Toney

Post by Jackie Toney »

What a performance Johnny! Great steel playing.

Jackie

------------------
www.steelinusa.com
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Johnny sounded in great form, if there's one female singer I had the chance to back it would be Connie. I fast forwarded thru the new guy (Craig Morgan)- I could care less what he did in the military. Daryl Singletary's opry version of his new song is nothing like the pop version on the CD. I heard the stock Nashville comment from him on the interview show with Bill Anderson when Bill asked him about the new pop song and he replied "a song is a song" and didn't apologize for recording a pop song.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Low point of the show was Darryl Singletary,good country singer that looked and sounded uncomfortable with his song.Wish Connie and Johnny had done two songs. I would pay whatever to see the "Connie Smith show". I am sure a lot of other people would too. Last nights show was an "A". Can't bash Fisher on this one. Image

------------------
CJC

Bobby5102

Post by Bobby5102 »

You just can't beat Connie Smith..I agree, what a great performance as usual. Johnny Cox playing knocks me out also. It was great to see the complete Connie Smith show at Bill Andersons Homecoming in Commerce, GA. Deena Johnson is the perfect one to play drums behind Connie. It was cool to see Goldie Hill on stage after so many years in retirement. I still love the music of her husband Carl Smith. I can't wait for Ray Price to appear on the Opry in August. He still sounds great also.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

It looks to me like things are going in the right direction again for the Opry and Steel Guitar. What happened? Did Mr. Fisher wake up??....al
BTW I loved Connie Smith and Johnny Cox was great!!!!<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Al Marcus on 10 July 2000 at 09:09 PM.]</p></FONT>