State of the Opry

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jason Powers

State of the Opry

Post by Jason Powers »

While watching the Opry the other night, (most of which I couldn't watch because it was making me sick) I did happen to catch Loretta's portion of the show, and when she was finished, there was 'ol Pete whats-his-name, hugging and kissing her, It made me sick because here is the same power-hungry corporate type who has done more to tear apart the groundwork that was laid by the legends, (including Loretta) and he was kissing up to her like she was his long lost sister. I guarantee you if Mr. Acuff were here, he wouldn't put up with this crap. Mr. Roy may have been an old man but no one ever crossed him
Pat Jenkins

Post by Pat Jenkins »

Amen, Jason! What we really need is another Mr. Roy to stand up for country music. Is anyone going to step forward? We're watching. Wishing there was something we could do from the sidelines. Great Gugamooga, Pat
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Jason, May I ask, what made you sick?
Theresa<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 26 January 2000 at 07:28 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 26 January 2000 at 07:34 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jason Powers

Post by Jason Powers »

Theresa
I guess one of the biggest disappointments I have is to see a lady with a voice as good as Martina McBride wasting her time with material like what she was singing on there. The same could be said for Chely Wright. Both of them have great voices, but you hate to see all that potential wasted on pop-rock sounding garbage. Just my opinion, but the Opry is no place to present this kind of material. Jason
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I’m with Jason. If it weren’t for wanting to catch some more of Paul’s steel, I’d have shut if off during Cheley and Martina—whomever came first. Instead of waiting for a commercial I went to the fridge right after Martina finished harmonica intro.

SJ: Before I read far enough in your post, Ricky’s name came to mind. That would be a good choice. I think Marty Stewart could do as well; could bring the wife (Connie Smith) too!

Old Roy did a good job with the Opry. Just don’t hand me that “King of Country Music” stuff, though. God! What a tremendous overstatement that is. He could hardly carry a tune at all and had 2 hits that I can recall. I guess I wouldn’t grant that title to anyone, now that I think about it. But, if I did… well you know.
Lem Smith

Post by Lem Smith »

Hmmmm...let's see Ron. Now who on earth would it be that you'd choose???
Garth, maybe? Image Image Image Image

Pat Jenkins

Post by Pat Jenkins »

I enjoy both Chely and Martina, and I guess what we think of their material would vary greatly. The last two songs Martina has had out were borderline pitiful, but here at the station where I work we played the fire out of both of them. And they do sell, not to the country audience mind you. I remember a few years ago, Sylvia was accused constantly of producing bubblegum country, but I believe her material would stand like the Mona Lisa among the current crop of singers. Good singers, poor songs, dull arrangements. Great Gugamooga, Pat.
Raybob

Post by Raybob »

State of the Opry? Well it got trashed in Tennessee, I vote that they move it to Texas. That might eliminate that current crap of singers!

------------------
Sierra S12 8+5 A6/D9 Uni

Bill cole

Post by Bill cole »

Raybob I second your motion cause if they stay there much longer it will be gone anyway and put Ricky Scaggs or SJ OR Smiley Roberts in charge
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Hey, Lem! Sorry to make things unclear there… I forgot to check that little “signature” box. Image

Good point SJ. I don’t know why it never happens. Many years ago Merle was both criticized and applauded for suggesting that Cash should be given a role in performing and hosting The Opry. (Merle also would become a member if they’d ask, but since he has never regarded Nashville as country music’s epicenter…)

Oh, great! Bill Cole “seconds your motion”, Raybob. We still haven’t recovered from the last time Bill seconded a motion… Perhaps Les won’t read this thread… Just funnin’ ya, guys .

------------------
HagFan
MALCOLM KIRBY

Post by MALCOLM KIRBY »

What is the deal with Steve Wariner having Paul, Brent, Stuart and the others on with him anyway? What's wrong with the "staff band"? They can play anything that I heard played on Steve's portion that night.
Why have a staff band, if artists are allowed to bring in sidemen of their choice that aren't in their road bands?
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Malcolm-for that matter,why didn't Steve Wariner use HIS band?If they're like us,they could use the TV money this time of year...oh well...
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

John ,Check out this weeks lineup,It is among the best put forward in a while.Maybe the Letters we bombed the Gaylord Corp with are getting read. The Lineup contains some of the people we have been talking about "should become members" Just maybe. Image

------------------
cjc

MALCOLM KIRBY

Post by MALCOLM KIRBY »

Steve,
I wondered the same thing too. Don't know the details why he didn't use his band. But as much as I love Paul & Brent's playing, this doesn't seem right.
They fire a some of the staff pickers, hire more, then when an artist needs a band (for whatever reason) they can bring in another band.
I'm sure someone might be thinking, he needed those guys to get that sound.
I don't think so. The staff band is quite capable of reproducing about anything that is thrown their way.

John,
Who did Del have to drop?

Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Steve, Just wanted you and the forum to know.
Instead of complaining publicly about my choice of gigs or Steve's choice of band, anyone can file a formal complaint against me, Steve Wariner, and the rest of the band with the union. If any contractual rules were broken the complaint will win and we can and will be fined because All union musicians are subject to the same union contractual bylaws.
Steve Wariner is one of the nicest and most honorable stars in Nashville and I am proud to say he is also my friend. Professional jealousy is a bad thing. Maybe I should clear things with Steve and Malcolm before taking any more gigs?
Paul Franklin

Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

Paul-I wasn't complaining about anything-just wondering where Steve's band was...some of them are friends of mine.As for professional jealousy,I am happy for all you have accomplished...I assure you that I am not jealous of your success.I guess I should"clear things"with you before I post again...
MALCOLM KIRBY

Post by MALCOLM KIRBY »

State Of The Opry.
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

I reserve the right to stay the hell out of the middle of this one. ImageHey Paul,how in the heck are ya?Last time we picked together was around 1985.Email me sometime.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Earl, I hear your back playing. Thats good news! Are you still into Jazz? Other than dodging a few stray bullets, I'm doing just fine!
Paul

Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Very glad to hear from you Paul.I started playing again about two yrs.ago.I never considered myself a jazzer,I just tried to play like one. ImageI am just about finished with my CD.I'll make sure you get a copy.
Guess most people don't know how long we have known each other.Do you remember a little jam session we had at Jack Molletti's apt.in Madison around 1969? I'll never forget it.I am so glad you have done so well with your carreer.
About dodging the bullets,don't worry they don't hurt,they're rubber. Image Talk to you later old friend. Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 06 February 2000 at 08:03 PM.]</p></FONT>