positive on a forum purchase.

Pedal, lap, Hawaiian, resonator ... anything played with a bar
Loren Bayles

positive on a forum purchase.

Post by Loren Bayles »

b0b,

I hope this is the correct place to post this comment as it is related to buying and selling.
Loren

A few words on recent purchase I made from member Rick Hinton selling for an older friend.
My GFI arrived as promised,excellent condition and Guitar and case are exactly as represented to me.
Thanks for everything Rick.
Loren Bayles.
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

I've sold and bought several items through the forum dealing with other players from everywhere. Have not had a single problem with anything. Forum members are good folks!
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Amen.
Brian Davis

Post by Brian Davis »

Congrats on your new guitar, Loren. <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Brian Davis on 22 October 2005 at 02:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

This closely resembles the Feedback comments used on eBay, where buyers and sellers rate each other.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
Moderator of the SGF Computers Forum
1983 Rosewood Emmons D10 Push-Pull, with 8 pedals and 9 knee levers, and Lawrence LXR-16 pickups. Nashville 400 amp with Peavey Mod.
I use and endorse Jagwire Strings and accessories.

Keep Steelin' but don't get caught!

Visit my Wiztunes website at: http://www.wiztunes.com/
or my main website: Wizcrafts Computer Services

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Except these comments have meaning.
This is the place to trade.
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

I HATE to be the wet blanket here,and go ahead, call me negative,nasty,sourpuss, or miserable if you care to,but I have had fairly poor luck buying here... I have bought several items here and only a G&L guitar was as stated. I got a REAL fair deal on that... Everything else was sold at a loss or traded with a list of issues that should have been disclosed to ME.

I recently sold an amp head I bought here for $375... It was unusable with major problems when I got it.... I was VERY lucky to get $200 for it WITH a 2x12 speaker cabinet.. It never left the house.. Before any one flames me, I KNOW these deals were abberations here.. OUT of the ordinary.. I KNOW that.. I still will trade here, and I DO trust just about everyone that posts with any regularity, but WILL exchange phone #'s with the other party from now on so there are NO misunderstandings on hi dollar items.....

Hey, I need to come clean here,I have sold something here myself that was not so hot.. I sold a guitar bridge to a forumite for $20.. It was in a parts box, and I used it and never had a problem with it... I threw it in a box and shipped it... When He opened the box he was furious.. wanted his money back.. NO problem. I sent it.. When I checked the bridge he was right. I sold him a guitar bridge with worn out saddles that REALLY should have been replaced.. and yes I felt bad, and yes, I was wrong. I should have looked that bridge over better and either not sold it or just given it to him for the price of shipping... I looked it over, described it in MUCH better detail, and sold it to someone that knew it need saddle inserts. It won't happen again.

Also, I just got an email from a distraught friend that "sold" something here for $415.. to a suppossed forumite... She SENT the merchsndise FIRST, and never got paid.... that was about 12 days ago... Looks like mail fraud to me... The "forumite" doesn't return her emails... PLEASE guys, this is NOT sour grapes....

Buyer [and seller too] Beware... even in this VERY good place.... bob
Jim Saunders

Post by Jim Saunders »

I've always wondered at the practice of the seller demanding full payment up front. The buyer has no guarantees. He sends his money and hopes for goods. Well,in my case it has always worked out. But, I usually ship the goods, if I'm the seller, the day the deal is agreed to. I know most of the names of the regulars who post on the Forum and it works for me.
A couple of emails with questions of condition usually settles the matter. If not, try a phone call.
George McLellan

Post by George McLellan »

I've gotten into the habit of taking a picture of whatever the item is that I'm selling if requested by the potential buyer and send it by e-mail. If they have any questions they can be cleared up right then.

Then when it is shipped I scan the receipt and send the buyer an e-mail with the scanned receipt attached. That pretty much takes the guess work out of "have you sent it yet?".

If I'm buying something, other than by VISA, I scan the check, (cashiers check if required) and send that via e-mail so they know that payment is on the way.

This works for me.

Geo
Bobby D. Reed

Post by Bobby D. Reed »

I know you can find a crook anywhere but I love and trust the forum and I feel priviledged being able to trade, buy and sell here. Hats off to bOb and all others involved here.....Bobby
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

I agree with all in principle.

This thread reminds me of days in the computer leasing business, when in forums like this, offering hardware and systems available, there were frequent entries of "Before doing business with _____, contact me" style. Interestingly enough, these were not flame throws per se, simply suggestions offered in good(?) faith.

Now--and this is significant--we almost never saw the 'entre nous' dialog between any two involved in this. Individuals kept it private, following up on their own account,making their decisions based on that, and it was no one else's business, I guess.

"Before doing business , etc." is by association, a negative vibe and (my) reluctant suggestion. I hope never to see it beyond this post.

Regards.
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Somebody has to blink first. Someone has to take that first "leap of faith" to begin the deal. Buy and sell is an honor thing. If you fail to send the bux, your reputation will be damaged. If you fail to send the goods and back them as to your claims, your reputation is at stake. You may put the screws to someone and get away with it once, but you will loose the trust of the forum community, and few will risk doing a deal with you in the future. For those that value their reputation, the forum is a wonderful place to trade.
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Whenever I want to sell something I am always anxious to make up a special Personal Web-Page of pictures that anyone can click on to and see what I have for sale without anyone even having to ask for them! I always want to get the product right there in front of them to interest them as much as possible! If they want to see more or have questions, then they can e-mail or call me and discuss the deal! Making up Web Pages is sort of a new hobby of mine anyway!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I've had nothing but positive experiences when buying from forum members.

About 4 months ago I agreed to purchase a used pac-a seat from a forum member. I mailed him the money order, and then e-mailed him to let him know I had done so. From there I had anticipated a long wait from the time the money order arrived to the mailing of the seat, which was to be expected. Later that day, the seller replied to tell me he had sent the seat! (He was in the U.S., and I was in Canada.) It was then I knew that the forum was a valuable and trusted venue for buying and selling. The seller sent the seat on nothing but my word that I'd had sent the money order. You won't find that kind of trust on Ebay or anywhere else, to my knowledge.

It seems to me that forum members really value their reputation in the eyes of one another, especially when it comes to being reliable in dealings. In my short time as a member of this forum, I have enjoyed and respected this aspect of it very much.
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Never a problem here from my very first even swap with Doug Beumier many years back. Always been a positive experience.

I think because we are such a close community (group hug, everyone) Image we have a certain, small buffer of protection, simply because so many of us know each other or know someone who does.

A lot of it has to do with a positive attitude also. I recently was wanting to purchase a steel from a forumite when he suddenly announced that his wife had made arrangements so he could keep his axe, instead of selling it for much needed funds. Some folks may have taken offense to him withdrawing the steel for sale, but as a forum brother, I was elated that he was able to keep his beloved steel. I've been in his shoes before, so I appreciated that it all worked out for the best for him.

Usaully, what goes around comes around. Image

------------------
Help prevent juvenile delinquency...teach children to STEEL