Tab for Doug Jernigan video?

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Kobus Meiring

Tab for Doug Jernigan video?

Post by Kobus Meiring »

I am Kobus Meiring, a steel player from South Africa. I wondered if anyone could help me. I am looking for the tabs to the gospel songs on Doug Jernigan's video "Favorite Things I Like To Play". The steel guitar playing is absolutely breathtaking!! There are seven songs on this video. I have tried to play "What A Friend" and "In The Garden", but Doug uses some inversions and chords that I cannot imitate. And what baffles me most, is that he uses a Mullen D-10 (I also have one) and a Nashville 400 (I have a Session 500), and he gets a tone that I cannot get, even though I try how hard. Does he use an extra effects processor of some sort on this video? Is there anyone out there who can help regarding the tab and the tone? Doug, if you're reading this e-mail, can you help? I'm looking forward to any help, because here in South Africa there is nothing available on steel guitar whatsoever. I want to express my sincere thanks beforehand!! All the best - Kobus
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Can't help you with the tab, but I suspect the tone is some combination of pickup, EQ, and right-hand technique. Maybe someone know what kind of PU he used on that.
Steve
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Don't feel too badly, Kobus. None of us can sound like Doug, even using the same equipment.
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

You might as well say why can't we sound like Lloyd Green, or Buddy Emmons. You know, you're talking about the greatest players in the world, who not only have perfect pitch, technique, and talent, but have spent a lifetime endlessly practicing, and relentlessly fine-tuning their sound by their choices of string, pickup, guitar, amp, and then in the studio, by a lifetime of working with engineers and soundmen, who themselves are probably amoung the best in the business for capturing the sound of a steel. So, if compared to Mark Mcquire, one was a modestly talented, beer-belly player playing in an unkempt backlot with a beat up bat and a baseball popping it's stitches, how many home runs are you going to hit when you go out to play once a week or so?
Steve Feldman

Post by Steve Feldman »

Geez, Jeff - You really know how to hurt a guy....
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

yeah but jeff- he has the mark mcquire signature bat and ball! DOESN'T THAT COUNT FOR SOMETHING?
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

It's depressing, but Jeff is right. I played on Buddy's guitar just prior to rehearsal at an Everly concert. I didn't sound anything like him on his guitar.
(As a side note: They rehearsed a couple of the Everly's tunes without any vocals. Image)

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com
Teresa Forwalder

Post by Teresa Forwalder »

If anyone is interested, we here at Steel Guitar Nashville carry many of Doug Jernigan's albums, videos and tablature books. Unfortunately, we don't have the one mentioned here, but we do have many others. Just give us a call at 615-859-7666 or check out the website at www.steelguitar.net
-Bobbe Seymour
Kobus Meiring

Post by Kobus Meiring »

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I guess you are all correct. I do however want to mention an idea, or maybe it is my opinion. The whole thing about tone, or a particular type of sound is, as Jeff Newman put it in his article about this topic, tone is in the hands. It is your own signature sound, and no one else can imitate it. Just like one person could never copy another person's written signature 100%, the same it is with your own signature sound. I don't think Buddy Emmons could imitate Doug Jernigan, and vice versa, for example. My conclusion would be to rather be your own best, than somebody else. Note for note tablature transcriptions gives a lot of insight into a particular person's style, but it cannot give you that player's sound. So the only person in the world who can sound like Doug Jernigan, is himself. By the way, I have managed to "cop" a couple of licks by "steeling" with my eyes from the video, and just seeing the correct frets and strings used for particular phrases and harmonics(after watching the video for about a million times!!!), has helped me a lot to play these songs. All the best, and thanks again for all the replies and feedback. It is very much appreciated!
Sincerely
Kobus