Looking for Tennesse Waltz Tab for Pedal Steel

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Kobus Meiring

Looking for Tennesse Waltz Tab for Pedal Steel

Post by Kobus Meiring »

I am Kobus Meiring, a pedal steel guitar player from South Africa. We are'nt many over here, so tab for steel is not really available. I am looking for an instrumental version in tab for "Tennessee Waltz" for E9th pedal steel. If possible, it must me quite dynamic, not just a version loaded with simple easy notes. If I can give an example, back in 1978 (I think) Anne Murray had a version, and there was a steel turnaround in it that was superb. (To this day I could still not figure out who the steel player was). That is a good example for how the rest of the song should sound as an instrumental too. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can find tab for this song?
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Herby Wallace has a great version of it tabbed out. It is on his instructional material called "ten tunes for the Pedal steel". As with everything Herby does, the whole package is tastefully and accurately done. Check out his web site.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Here is the link to Herby Wallace site.
http://www.herbywallace.com/
Ricky
Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

Kobus,
Here's the tab for the solo in Anne Murray's version of the song. It's in the key of E. "L" means 1/2 tone lower. "R" means 1/2 tone raise. "~" means slide or pedal into the notes. "~~" means slide, but pick the next notes. The beat count is on the 10th string. By the way, the third note in the leadin is interesting in that there is a dissonance between the 2nd string and the 5th string - at least, that's what I hear.

<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>1--leadin------------------------_________________________________________________
2______________12L_~_12___________________________________________________________
3_________________________________________________________________________________
4_________________________12_~_14__________19_~__19___________________19_~__19____
5__10a_~11a____12a____________________19a__19_~__19a__________19__19a_19_~__19a___
6________________________________________________________19b______19______________
7_________________________________________________________________________________
8_________________________________________________________________________________
9__________________________beat count_____________________________________________
10_____________________________________1___________________________2______________</pre></font>

<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>1_________________________________________________________________________________
2_________________________________________________________________________________
3___19___19b_~__17b_~_17___17b_~__17____15____17_~_~___12b___14b___15__~_~________
4______________________________________________________12____14____15R_~_~________
5___19___19a_~__17a_~_17___17a_~__17____15____17_~_~___12a___14a___15a_~_~________
6_________________________________________________________________________________
7_________________________________________________________________________________
8_________________________________________________________________________________
9________beat count_______________________________________________________________
10________3____________________________________4____________________5_____________</pre></font>

<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre>1_________________________________________________________________________________
2_________________________________________________________________________________
3__________________5______________________________________________________________
4___12_~_~____7____5____7_~_7____5__~__5____3R____________________________________
5___12_~_~____7a________7_~_7a___5a_~__5____3a____5a_~_5_~_5a__7a~_12_~_3a_~_19a__
6___12_~_~____7b________7_~_7____5__~__5____3__________________7b~_12_~_3__~_19b__
8_________________________________________________5__~_5_~_5___7_~_12_~_3R_~_19___
9__________________beat count_____________________________________________________
10_________________6________________________7__________________8__________________</pre></font>

Kobus Meiring

Post by Kobus Meiring »

Thanks guys for all the replies. Thanks Jeff for the tab - I'm going to try it out right away. I will definitely order the Herby Wallace course, I think he is a great steel guitar player. Thanks again!!