Sho~Bud "Big E" Keyless

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kenny Davis

Sho~Bud "Big E" Keyless

Post by Kenny Davis »

Here's a long lost picture I took in March of 1972 upstairs at Sho~Bud on Broadway.

I talked to Ed Naylor in St. Louis years ago and told him I had a picture of this guitar. He told me he ended up owning it, but didn't have it at the time. He was so intent on getting a picture that he gave me several odds & ends Sho~Bud parts if I promised I'd send it to him. I sent him a copy and kept the original. Not the best quality, but you can plainly see the aluminum neck and a unique changer end that looks similar to what would be the keyhead end. Also, M-O-P inlay, and the body contradicts an older post where someone said that there were two Sho~Bud keyless guitars, both based on a Maverick. I did see Hal play the black single neck on the Opry on that trip. I have a pic of that somewhere.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Wow - and there was I thinking keyless heads were a modern invention!
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

That is a wild guitar and a wild story! So is the “Big E” inlay for “Emmons” or “Ed” Naylor?
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

There's only one "Big E"! Shot told me it was built for Buddy, even though he wasn't connected to Sho~Bud by then.
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."