ZB Project

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Romanchick

ZB Project

Post by Joe Romanchick »

Here is my next project. This is a ZB guitar that needs  lot of work. The C6 neck is the upper one, and it appears  that is the way it came originally because I do not see the myriad of holes you would find when someone starts changing things around.
 There are only three pedals on the pedal bar and some of the knee levers are not all identical. My first thought was to change it back to E9 as the upper, but being that there are only 3 pedals  and some other things I do not like, my thoughts are to make it a single with a pad and it would also be a lot lighter. Someone refinished the wood body at some point, and not too well,  so that would absolutely have to be redone. All of the metal parts would need to be totally disassembled cleaned and done over to make it a nice player as well as a looker. The only problem for me in PA is there the cold is now setting in so painting is a bit of a problem, but I will deal with that when the time comes. I am not sure it will get done as quickly as the Sho-Bud I just did, but I will see how it goes. I just love these old wood body steels..........
Eric Dahlhoff

Post by Eric Dahlhoff »

Joe, that looks like a worthy project! Since there aren't enough pedals I think you're right to remove the C6 guts and make it into an SD-10.
Looks like Zane Beck era parts. Does it have a 1xxx ser number?
Have fun! :D
"To live outside the law you must be honest." (Bob Dylan)
Joe Romanchick

Post by Joe Romanchick »

Eric, The serial number is 1043. Once upon a time I had a Williams SD10 and always thought that was a neat guitar that was wide enough to lean on and had a nice pad, so now I will make one, kinda...........
B. Greg Jones

Post by B. Greg Jones »

Joe, #1043 was invoiced on August 24th, 1966 to Johnny Williams. It was the last guitar built in Phoenix Arizona before Zane moved to Scranton Arkansas.

Greg
Joe Romanchick

Post by Joe Romanchick »

B. Greg Jones wrote:Joe, #1043 was invoiced on August 24th, 1966 to Johnny Williams. It was the last guitar built in Phoenix Arizona before Zane moved to Scranton Arkansas.

Greg
Hello, thanks for that. Does that mention anything about it being made with the necks in reverse of normal....
Joe