Zoom G1 Four Review

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Sinkler

Zoom G1 Four Review

Post by Richard Sinkler »

After my Zoom MS50G died, I decided to get a Zoom G1 Four multi effects pedal. It was cheaper than a new MS50G, and had additional features like a looper and rhythm section function. It would also be much easier to switch between patches.

Well, the sounds of the included effects are good. But, some of the effects I used in the MS50G are only available by download using Zoom's Guitar Lab program. I tried using the program on my 3 different computers, and it would detect the device, the screen would say "Loading...". It never left that screen, even after leaving it going for an hour.

I used to use the ToneLib Zoom program with my MS50G, and it would work MAYBE 50% of the time. I tried it with the G1 Four, and it gives me an error saying it is not getting an ID response from the pedal, on all 3 computers. It was doing the same with the MS50G too. It did it 100% of the time. I tried 2 different USB data cables that had tags identifying them as data cables, and I verified they had the 5 pins that data cables have.

So, editing was only available on the unit itself (which I despise) with no way to download the missing effects I wanted.

And to my disappointment, the G1 Four included an effect model for the Boss GE7 EQ pedal that many use for a dobro sound. I set the sliders the way we set Boss or Danelectro (which I use) EQs. It was not even close. That convinced me to return it. I'm done with Zoom products.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Steve French

Post by Steve French »

I’m very happy with mine, but I only use it for reverb & delay. Yes, the menus can be difficult. But once it’s set, it’s set.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I used to use my MS50G for reverb and delay as my NV400 reverb died. I have been using a Nu-X Atlantic for reverb and delay running in my effects loop of either the NV400 or my NV112. I wanted to add some chorus and an autowah to my bag of tricks. After using Tonelib Zoom to edit patches in my MS50G, the pedal will no longer shut off. When pressing the switch, the LED will change from on to off, but the effect is still active.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.