Stereo Steel version logos & dating?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

David Laveau

Stereo Steel version logos & dating?

Post by David Laveau »

Does anyone here know why this one looks different than many others I've seen glimpses of (😆 photos really)

WAG is maybe earlier production unit?

Last edited by David Laveau on 10 Nov 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

It's an early one. I'm not sure if the "Stereo Steel" letters are original to the amp, but they are different from the graphics on the later ones.

I bought a new one in the middle to late 90s. It had the dual controls for effects like that one. GD did away with the dual fx controls and only used one later.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say probably somewhere in early to middle 90s.
David Laveau

Post by David Laveau »

That would make sense also,
looks good for that sort of work fwiw

this one also has mono rca jacks for the aux
no tuner out

David Laveau

Post by David Laveau »

Given this image, maybe it is early factory lettering
Jerry Overstreet

Yeah, I'd say so. I think I got mine in 96 or 97. It still had the dual fx controls, but not the amp switches on the back like your photos and the description in the latter pic.

First I recall of seeing ads for these amps was early 90s at the latest and possibly in the early 80s. GD placed print ads in magazines etc. before he had any brochures available.
Jerry Overstreet

Yeah, I'd say so. I think I got mine in 96 or 97. It still had the dual fx controls, but not the amp switches on the back like your photos and the description in the latter pic.

First I recall of seeing ads for these amps was early 90s at the latest and possibly in the early 80s. GD placed print ads in magazines etc. before he had any brochures available.

He would also do custom work if a player wanted something different. On mine, he replaced the RCA jacks with 1/4 phono jacks so that I could feed a second unit into the amp.
David Laveau

Post by David Laveau »

Jerry Overstreet wrote:He would also do custom work if a player wanted something different. On mine, he replaced the RCA jacks with 1/4 phono jacks so that I could feed a second unit into the amp.

beauty of smaller shops, kind of i suppose..
I dig that kind of personal attention on occasion
:)

thanks for sharing 'your lived experience,'
much obliged good sir