Shortening Pedal Rods with rolled threads.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Overstreet

Shortening Pedal Rods with rolled threads.

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Since I haven't been able to find the 1" under pedal rods I need for the old Fender/Super Pro, I've decided to cut a piece out of the rods and re-join them with these couplers. These rods have rolled threads, so cutting and re-threading is out.

These are sold as motor shaft coupling connectors for the RC world. Approx. 3/4 in. long with 4 set screws to secure the connector to the rod. That'll give me 3/8 in. to lock down the rod connections.

I believe this will work so that I don't have to cut and re-bend the hook end that has a double bend. I haven't started yet, but unless I can find some 1 inch under rods very soon, that's my plan.

I'm using a smaller version of this coupler to lengthen some original too short pull rods that also have rolled threads so that they fit and use the same nylon tuners and retainers as the originals.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

All you have to do is cut to proper length, then rethread them. I bought a little die set at Harbor freight. They don’t have to be rolled. I’ve done many that way. You will need a vice.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jerry Overstreet

Nope. Sho~Bud rods with rolled threads are too small to hold a 10-32 cut thread. Pedal rods with cut threads measure .187 but these rods with rolled threads measure about .167 diameter. Not enough material there for a 10-32 thread.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Don’t know the thread size Jerry but I’ve done at least one ShoBud I know of. Was a super pro and I just found size that the little deal that goes on end and worked fine. Have done several Emmons.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Jerry Overstreet

I appreciate your input Henry. I have a full complement of threaders, rethreaders, chasers, taps and dies and other shop tools. I work on pedal steels and cut threads on rods quite frequently.

I'm just afraid that there's not enough material for a good fit for the 10-32 pedal connector. Wish there was.

I don't want to go that route and find out they don't fit snug. Then they'd be too short to re-work.

Thanks.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I have done this by bending a new hook. Bend the new hook first, then cut off the old hook. The new hook can be easily bent by heating the exact spot you want to bend with a propane torch. Get it red hot and bend with pliers. The heated area will be a little discolored, just clean it up with some steel wool. If you want to practice bending, just get some similar steel rods and bend a few. It's very easy to do.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Rolled threads in no way are better than cut threads. They're just a cost-saving method, time wise, of adding threads to a rod, which can be smaller because you're "moving" material instead of cutting off material. (As mentioned, you also save money by using a smaller diameter rod stock to begin with.)

If I had to shorten rods with rolled threads, I'd do it at the other (hooked) end.
Jerry Overstreet

Hook end has 2 bends in it. Too much trouble to get right.

It's going to be this cut and couple method if I don't find shorter rods soon.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Bending rods is easy. Working in a machine shop for bends, When we needed more than 1, We made a simple jig, Just a piece of steel thick enough for bend and a hole, Steel block we could grip in a vice. Drill a hole proper diameter of rod to be bent, And depth of hook tip. Then grind the curve of the bend on the jig. Insert end of rod in jig, Either heated or cold bend and hammer rod for perfect curve of jig.