2nd string/9th string lower question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Dulin

Post by Michael Dulin »

Do any of you lower strings 2&9 only a half instead of half/whole/half on same knee lever? Tell me about it.MD
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

Normally,

You lower the 2nd from D# to D then to C# but the 9th string only gets lowered to C# from D.

Some guys prefer to split the 2nd string changing to hit the middle note more precisely. I don't have a problem going to D on the 2nd string. Coming from C# back to D can be problematic for some people.

Lloyd is the master of doing 2nd string work since he does not lower is 4th string to D#. What he does IMHO is just amazing with the 2nd string.

YMMV

Mark T.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Robert Jones

Post by Robert Jones »

On my Mullen I have a half stop on the second string and lower it a half and then a whole tone. My 9th string is only half tone when lowered. YES THEY ARE BOTH ON THE SAME KNEE LEVER. LKR BUT WITH A HALF STOP!!!!!
Last edited by Robert Jones on 9 Nov 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mullen Royal Precision D10 Red Lacquer Pearl inlay 8&8
"Life is too short for bad tone."
https://mullenguitars.com/
http://www.bjsbars.com/
Michael Dulin

Post by Michael Dulin »

are you reading the question?MD
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

I have a Carter that was set up to lower 2 and 9 each a half-step on RKR. Didn’t make any sense to me that they would always be 1/2 step dissonant, so I changed string 2 to a feel stop at -1/2 and full stop at -1 to match up with string 9.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I have set up guitars for beginners with either old and limited steels or student guitars on which there was not a lot of ability to finesse the feeler stop for the 2nd string -- no adjustable return spring on 9, for instance, and just all around, not a good positive feel -- and I have opted to give them a simple D# > D on 2. I've explained that if in the course of their development they encounter lessons or tabs that demand the full step lower on 2, we can talk, but until then they are better off not fighting to find a vague half-stop.