Insight on a Remington

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Harmon

Insight on a Remington

Post by John Harmon »

Finally convinced about 8 strings. Found a Remington d8 semi-near me. The price is $1000, decent? No shipping of course and I see it before buying. Also any thing to look for that may be wrong or bad on these. Know nothing about them except to hear Herb playing one, lol. Thanks, John
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Had one. Loved it. Wish I still had it. Price sounds about right in decent shape.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I've owned a few D8 Remington's. One was a dude, one was really nice. But in general they are usually very nice steels.
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

Bill, assuming you meant dud, can you expand on the issues you had with it?
Joe Kaufman

Post by Joe Kaufman »

My Remington d8 was really dead sounding at first. I had to tighten nearly every screw nut and bolt on it and then it sang light it was supposed to! I still remember how bummed I was when I first set it up. I'm wondering if the "dud" you had might have had something similar going on.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Joe Kaufman wrote:My Remington d8 was really dead sounding at first. I had to tighten nearly every screw nut and bolt on it and then it sang light it was supposed to! I still remember how bummed I was when I first set it up. I'm wondering if the "dud" you had might have had something similar going on.
They're pretty much Stringmaster clones... and SM's are very dependent on the plate screws behind the bridge for sustain and tone. I broke some screws off in my '56, had to drill them out and go back with oak dowels... that ended up hot-rodding it somewhat, very pleased with the results.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329