Custom Steel Build #3 ...Big Post ,Pic Heavy

For people who build steel guitars

Moderator: J D Sauser

Wayne Brown

Custom Steel Build #3 ...Big Post ,Pic Heavy

Post by Wayne Brown »

Well Folks here we are again. Another winter and another build.
My 1st build on the forum "The Rare Wood Steel" was built and ended up being sold. The fellow steel player fell in love with it. So reluctantly I let it go. Now I have no idea where it ended up. I saw it for sale on reverb about a year ago.
The 2nd Build The "Rare Wood Steel 2.0 " was built on the forum last under the thread title "Custom Steel Build" in this section and I am happy to say that it is still sitting right behind me as I type this.
We (my wife Lori) and I are getting ready to build another for you folks to follow along if you so wish. This guitar will be built in the true fashion of Mr. Franky...stein. The build promises to have a few new surprises and a old school flavor. Since we have a lot of different manufacturers parts here. We thought why not use some to create a unique guitar. Please understand that we still are in the planning stage and finishing gathering all the parts and accessories that are needed. We will machine the rest...oops!
Here is the specs and a list of what we are using so far
1) This guitar will be a SD-10. We were going to build another D-10 however when trying to purchase some of the parts we needed. We could not reach comfortable deals with the other parties involved, so decided to stay with what we had.
2) We will be using a Derby Key head, neck, and end plates. Emmons Legrande changer with splits. Grover tuners. And underneath...well were undecided it is a toss up...Mullen Bell cranks PRP on Sho-bud 5/16 hex rods. . .

2a) or we have a bunch of Carter parts that we can use. So it could be 3/8 square shafts with the updated barrels like on a MSA but made for the Carter guitars (more on those later). So if you folks have any other ideas on this please let me know.

3) As for the pedals, We were going to try to use Legrande pedals but I only have 2 of them in stock. Same with some Mullen pedals. But we have plenty of MSA pedals in stock so I will be making the pedal bar from scratch and we will use those pedals.

Before we get started I personally would like to thank a few people. My apologies if I forget anyone. That was not my intention.

Fellow forum members
Al Brisco... parts stock
Winston... Derby end plates
Tony Glassman... Emmons Changer and a Ton of Advice, fun conversation and experience.
Dave Diehi... Who came through in a pinch and saved my bacon and that I owe coffee to now.
Andy Depaule... Who doesn't realize it but through our conversations and following his build threads have helped me immensely.
Barry Coker... Kept us supplied while we worked on getting this all together.
John Lacey... His years of experience advice and long time friendship. He is my turn to guy when it comes to playing and understanding the steel guitar and the guitarists needs/wants.
Gentleman on eBay... selling Derby Parts I don't think he's a forum member.

Next step is to see what wood we will be using and get that ordered and milled...To Be Continued
Last edited by Wayne Brown on 16 Nov 2023 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Owner Out West Seats,Cases
www.outwestcountry.ca
Terry Winter

Post by Terry Winter »

Wayne. Nice post and I really thank you for doing what your doing (out west)
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I’m anxiously awaiting to watch this story on unfold……👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Andy DePaule

#3 will be something nice to see

Post by Andy DePaule »

Hi Wayne,
#3 will be something nice to see.
The first two came out so nice that I'd put a few $$$ of this one being the best yet!
:D :D :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.