Connie Smith with Lloyd Green

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marco Schouten

Connie Smith with Lloyd Green

Post by Marco Schouten »

2 days afo I found this video, Connie Smith with the great Lloyd Green playing his Sho-Bud Permanent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1hm2wxGjQQ
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

Not to mention the great Jerry Byrd just over his shoulder!!...( No Pressure! )
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Chris Scruggs told me:
"That’s from the Bobby Lord show, I believe. JB was the band leader. The staff band was Spider Wilson on guitar, Joe Zinkan on bass (but not in this clip), Ferris Coursey on drums, Jerry Whitehurst on piano and Byrd on steel. But of course, by the 60s many artists wanted pedals so it was common for guests to being their own steel players. Sometimes Byrd played rhythm guitar when an artist would bring their own steel player."
( but I was informed on that clip that was: "Billy Linneman" playing Bass guitar)
Lloyd said: that was surprising to him as he never seen that video before. He remembers it but forgot the name of the show; but Jerry Byrd was normal staff player in band and Lloyd, was special new kid on the block, guest pedal steel guitarist for Connie Smith, as "Pedal Steel Guitar" was now being recorded on most all singers in current Country music 1965. Lloyd was 28 and on fire; playing the song like it should be heard. He turned that "Heart" Perm; back in that year, to receive his newly made Sho~Bud Fingertip; that I ended up restoring and is still currently in the Country Music Hall of Fame Museum in Nashville. Nobody knows what happened to that Perm.

Ricky
Last edited by Ricky Davis on 30 Oct 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Mike Holder

Post by Mike Holder »

I saw the Fingertip at that display and many other cool instruments from my favorite musical era. You did a great job on that guitar, that tobacco burst is stunning!
I thought Nashville was the roughest, but I know I’ve said the same about them all.
I received my education, drivin through the Nation listenin to Paul!.. ( Franklin that is! )
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

Pretty cool seeing Lloyd playing, but I wonder why Connie or her label didn't have Weldon play?
Best lyric in a country song: "...One more, Moon..."
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

You did a great job on that guitar, that tobacco burst is stunning
Thanks Mike; but I gotta give ya a little touch of history. That Finish on Lloyd's Fingertip was originally done by A.J. Nelson 1966(who did most all finishes on all Shobud's through the years. Then when that Fingertip went away after Lloyd Turned it in in 1970; it showed back up in Nashville mid 2000's and finish was destroyed; but AJ saw it and immediately knew that was Lloyd's "lightening bolt" Fingertip, he finished like 40 years ago; and so then he refinished it like he did originally and then a Texas Farmer bought it and he and Lloyd suggested I finished the project of making it look and play like when Lloyd had it, and we did it and in time for a huge display coming up at the HOF museum and Lloyd said it would do more good staying there to give so many knowledge of music History.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

On the same channel there is another vid with Billy Crash Craddock and Lloyd which I have never seen before. What a great solo from Lloyd!

Looks like the setting of the Porter Wagoner Show to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtiDZF71qBw

Kind Regards, Walter
Tim Harr

Post by Tim Harr »

This is one of Lloyds early guitars, on display at the Country Music Hall of Game & Museum.

Tim Harr

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89
Travis Bubenik

Post by Travis Bubenik »

Tim Harr wrote:This is one of Lloyds early guitars, on display at the Country Music Hall of Game & Museum.

What’s with the extra cutout on the C pedal? I’ve always wondered about that when seeing players who have done that. Easier for some specific kind of rocking I’m assuming?

Did Lloyd always use guitars with narrower ABC pedals or was that a one-off thing? Very interesting!
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

What’s with the extra cutout on the C pedal? I’ve always wondered about that when seeing players who have done that. Easier for some specific kind of rocking I’m assuming?

Did Lloyd always use guitars with narrower ABC pedals or was that a one-off thing? Very interesting!
Travis; since I restored that Fingertip in the Country Music HOF museum; I can answer.
Yes Fingertips; early models had 9 pedals originally cause that is where the high C was lowered on bottom C6th tuning. So the first three pedals were closer together to fit it all under there; and so yes some cut down the first 3 pedals to get the "go between" pedals easier to not actuate one while trying to hit just one...and same reason for the angle cut cause your leg is actually angle to first three pedals.
His Perm with the Heart on front was not like that and the Shobud after was more like the Professional model made the last year of Baldwin endorsement years(1970) so it was like the beginning of a Shobud Professional and that was the one Lloyd had Them take back neck off and put a pad there to make it lighter to carry around to 3 sessions a day even in different studios. Then Shot and Paul Franklin Sr. built the new LDG May 1973 and life goes on.
Ricky
Ricky Davis
Silas Hamilton

Post by Silas Hamilton »

Kenny Davis wrote:Pretty cool seeing Lloyd playing, but I wonder why Connie or her label didn't have Weldon play?
Probably because by now Weldon was fully into studio work and either didn’t have time to do it, or Lloyd was “hotter” at the moment and they wanted to show him off.
1961 ShoBud permanent, 1971 Emmons Fatback, 1965 Emmons Wraparound no. 2171, Twin Reverbs. God Bless Weldon Myrick.