Killer harmonics

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Andy DePaule

Killer harmonics

Post by Andy DePaule »

Not quite steel guitar, but killer harmonics and no pedals needed with the buffalo horn wammy bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOhFnWOeCE

Seems to me like the kind of music any steeler would like? :D
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Glenn Demichele

Post by Glenn Demichele »

Wow. Bass player has a lot going on too. I'm surprised how good the sound was. Sounded like a magnetic pickup, but couldn't see any cords anywhere. Thanks for posting.
Franklin D10 8&5, Excel D10 8&5, homemade buffer/overdrive, Moyo pedal, GT-001 effects, 2x BAM200 for stereo. 2x GW8003 8" driver in homemade closed-box. Also NV400 etc. etc...
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Masters of their instuments!
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Absolutely love this!

Instrument is called the đàn bầu. If you want to learn how to get the most out of harmonics, this is the stuff.
Oliver Samland

Post by Oliver Samland »

Very nice, sounds beautiful!
So it's basically a single string pull release direct gear? The only lever (and at the same time "changer finger") raising a couple and lowering even a couple more notes? I'd be curious to hear a rendition of Night Life on that copedent. :lol:
Jon Voth

Post by Jon Voth »

Been to China twice, bought several instruments, really researched about them (I know it's not China) but never ever seen that!! And of course it's a thousand years old!

Really cool stuff, thank you for sharing. And I would suck at it just like harmonics on the PSG.
Andy DePaule

Thanks guys, Questions answered

Post by Andy DePaule »

They don't have Dan Bau in any other country but Viet Nam where it's very popular.

The pickup is a small pole magnet wound with fine coil wire. Looks like a sewing machine bobbin.
The original instruments were acoustic, but so quiet they were not often used.
Now with the pickups they sound to me a lot like a pedal steel with an E-Bow.
I just love that sound.

I also had never heard someone playing bass on a Dan Bau before so after all these years it was new to me also.

Usually they have just one string made from music wire about like a 0.020 plain.

The pick is wood and looks like an icecream stick.
As you can easily see they get the harmonics with their palm edge.

The whammy bar is made from Buffalo Horn.
I guess you could call it pull release, but there is no mechanism other than the player's perfect touch on how far to push or pull the whammy bar to alter the string pitch. Guess it would be like playing a pedal steel without any positive stops and trying to get it right! :whoa: :eek: :roll:
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Ian Lambach

Post by Ian Lambach »

This video is really weird!

Did you guys notice that they are miming and not actual playing live?! Their hands are not matching the vibrato, the drummer misses hits, and there are no mics or cables.

https://youtu.be/k6ERWC7JhdA?si=H7ej0TEF9pmHxQc7

This woman is awesome. She has vibrato like Robert Randolph

I really like the saturated diy sound that the pickups in dan baus seem to have