Redneck Steel Guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Greer

Redneck Steel Guitars

Post by Mark Greer »

A friend of a friend asked me if I could help him with his redneck steel guitar. It was inherited from his father who just passed away.

Its 6 strings, 3 pedals and 2 knees, and a pull-release changer (I think...looks different from what I've run across).

I can get everything working I think but for the life of me I can't figure out the copedent or tuning. From looking online it seems like the standard tuning would be BEG#BEG# and P1 raising Bs to C#s, P2 G#s to As, and P3 top B and E to C# and F# (or reversed) and the knees raising and lowering the Es a half step.

From what I can tell the following is happening:
P1 raises string 3
P2 raises strings 1 and 4
P3 raises string 3 and lowers string 2
LKL lowers strings 2 and 6
LKR raises strings 2 and 6

This is me guessing since I haven't restrung it yet (any thoughts on string gauges?). I'm also assuming those extra fingers outside the normal changers are for the lowers (so maybe not quite a pull-release?).

The new owner doesn't know anything about it but wants it setup "original" so instead of swapping stuff to make it more standard I'm hoping someone has some insight.

I found a Facebook page about them and messaged but haven't gotten anything back (last post was Jan 2022). The website linked doesn't have any contact info.

Thanks!

Image [/img]
John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

If you measure the scale length and had calipers to measure the string size you might be able to work out the anticipated note
Johnny Baker

Post by Johnny Baker »

The following link may help shed some light on that, for you: https://htredneck.weebly.com/

Now, you can go to You Tube and look under the following channel: rzsdad1 He Mr Miller post on there, quite a bit and he should be able to help you out, as well.

Hope this helps.
I am currently running a Simmons SD10, Peavey Nashville 400 that's packing a 15" BW, Peavey Delta Fex effects processor, and a Match Box. Best rig I've ever run and the sound is truly incredible.