Simple arrangements with steel guitar

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Windsor

Simple arrangements with steel guitar

Post by Tim Windsor »

I was talking with my bandmates the other day about Wiilie Nelson and his amazing body of work over so many years. My mate Mike mentioned that his favourite Willie recordings were some early demos that were pretty much just Willie, acoustic guitar with steel guitar accompaniment (possibly Jimmy Day?).

This got me curious about a couple of things - 1) what album or recordings was Mike thinking of? And 2) are there other great examples of albums that feature simple singer-songwriter arrangements where steel guitar is the main accompanying instrument? Of course there are countless great records with great steel playing, but most haver fuller, traditional country arrangements with rhythm section, fiddle etc. I’m more curious about sparse, simple arrangements, where the steel is particularly featured.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Well there’s Larkin Poe but Megan Lovell uses non-pedal steel.
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Yes:
Music Albums / Vince Gill & Paul Franklin

Bakersfield
Vince Gill, 2013

Sweet Memories: The Music Of Ray Price & The Cherokee Cowboys
Vince Gill, 2023
Ricky Davis
Email Ricky: sshawaiian2362@gmail.com
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

This got me curious about a couple of things (1) what album or recordings was Mike thinking of? And are there other great examples of albums that feature simple singer-songwriter arrangements where steel guitar is the main accompanying instrument? Of course there are countless great records with great steel playing, but most haver fuller, traditional country arrangements with rhythm section, fiddle etc. I’m more curious about sparse, simple arrangements, where the steel is particularly featured.
I don't know of any such album. He said it was a demo, so it's possible it was never a major release? Anyhow, and unfortunately, the music world (especially big stars and their labels) are pretty much averse to giving pedal steel "front-and-center" attention. To them, it's just flavoring, and can never be the main ingredient. I don't know why, maybe they just don't want the "old country connection". Maybe there aren't that many non-pro steelers that could pull it off. For sure, the big names (even though they are big names) are pretty much constricted as to what they (pedal steelers) contribute. And I suppose the artists are in the same boat, they must walk a very narrow line, and they don't get too much say as to instrumentation and overall sound.

While the ones Ricky mentioned are great songs with great playing, they're more or less what I'd call the "standard", popular type arrangements. Without really racking my brain, there's only one song I can think of that might fill the bill, one song that might fit your preference. This is it:

https://www.reverbnation.com/stanhitchc ... -hitchcock

(Enjoy it now, while you can. It was taken down from YouTube, and will probably be pulled from of this site too. I don't think they're exactly crazy about us pedal steelplayers, and what we do.) :|
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Doesn't get any better than this.....Michael Nesmith, with just Red Rhodes on steel, the entire album. They just came out with an expanded version, too.

Enjoy!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5 ... dmkKBzwH4z
Tim Windsor

Post by Tim Windsor »

Thanks for those suggestions and links, will enjoy checking those out.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yes, thanks Jim! That's a rare bird I'd never heard of. :D
Jim Pollard

Post by Jim Pollard »

You've inspired me to go back and listen to Charley Pride "In Person" recorded live at Panther Hall in Texas. Lloyd Green was the steel player and it's sparse and sublime.
Charlie Hansen

Post by Charlie Hansen »

There's a project called "Things To Remember - The Pamper Demos" that features a number of early Willie Nelson recordings form 1959-71 that feature pedal steel very prominently. It's available on youtube.

Here's a sample: https://youtu.be/1kmCSzD5F8o?si=VS46GPzDR8uSSGTw
I don't know much but what I know I know very well.
Carter S-10 3X5, Peavey Nashville 112, plus Regal dobro and too many other instruments to mention.
Bluegrass Island CFCY FM 95.1 Charlottetown, PE, Canada, on the web at cfcy.fm.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Lloyd Green recorded several albums with Peter Cooper that I think might be up your alley. Lloyd's pedal steel is not the only instrument, but the arrangements are mostly pretty sparse and his steel is by far the predominant instrument on most tracks.

Here's a pretty detailed post I wrote last year on these albums, if you or anyone is interested. Well worth checking out if you don't know this music already.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=387015
Tim Windsor

Post by Tim Windsor »

I've just been listening to the Mike Nesmith album- great stuff indeed Jim. Charlie- that may well be the album Mike was thinking of. And Pete- I'll check out the Peter Cooper stuff with Lloyd, sounds really interesting. I have heard the Panther Hall album, but I've been meaning to revisit that one too. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I was skimming this quickly to make sure I wasn't duplicating someone's post and....yep, Pete Finney got there way before me.
It is such a great showcase for Lloyd in a singer/songwriter context.
Gil James

Post by Gil James »

Thanks for posting this Pete. Fantastic collaboration,Cooper/Green! Doesn't get much better than that.
Travis Bubenik

Post by Travis Bubenik »

Charlie Hansen wrote:There's a project called "Things To Remember - The Pamper Demos" that features a number of early Willie Nelson recordings form 1959-71 that feature pedal steel very prominently. It's available on youtube.

Here's a sample: https://youtu.be/1kmCSzD5F8o?si=VS46GPzDR8uSSGTw
It's SUCH a good collection. I think the version of Undo the Right on that one is my all-time favorite Willie recording:

https://youtu.be/8aE3wBbAoUs?si=zhXJGz78NYLmm8WV
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

https://www.discogs.com/release/1011020 ... -To-Me-Now

This LP has a lot of that type of thing. I don't recall if there's steel on everything, but there is quite a bit....all Jimmy Day. There are a few cuts with some strings too. This was 1975 and with a few exceptions, more mellow Willie than in later years. It's a great listen, unless you're in a melancholy mood, in which case it may overcome you.

Title cut, A Long Long Time Ago, I'm a Memory, Don't Wake Me, several others about unrequited love. I believe this fits the paramters of your search.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Included with the first 3000 copies of Johnny Bush's 2002 album "Green Snakes" was a second CD of music from Johnny's 1962 demo session in Ft. Worth featuring Willie Nelson and Tom Morrell on steel. I was able to find a YouTube of one of the tracks, "Among The Living Dead":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GStHN_No8m0

Keep picking'!
Glenn
Steelin' for Jesus
Tim Windsor

Post by Tim Windsor »

Superb gentlemen, some gems being unearthed here.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I enjoyed his playing and Nesmith was a creative writer and singer. Red does some cool licks here.
Michael Drury

Post by Michael Drury »

I love finding stuff like this too. A great one is Yvette Landrys album Me & T-Coe's Country with Richard Comeaux on steel. The whole thing is vocals acoustic guitar and steel.