Info: Emmons volume pedals

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eddie Thomas

Info: Emmons volume pedals

Post by Eddie Thomas »

Hello, I need to know, who makes volume pedals for Emmons? Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Eddie Thomas

Pulleys for Emmons VP

Post by Eddie Thomas »

Come on guys, someone has to know, where to source the pulleys for the Emmons volume pedals. Thanks!
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Contact the new Emmons company. They might know.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Eddie Thomas

Pulleys

Post by Eddie Thomas »

I contacted Emmons first, and they have no clue. As they are not making volume pedals at this point in time. Maybe someome will chime in. Thanks!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Jack Strayhorn is a member here. Maybe he will see this and post a reply. Jack was with Emmons far a longtime and some of their best guitars were built under his watch.
Eddie Thomas

Post by Eddie Thomas »

Thanks!
Graham Bland

Emmons Volume pedals

Post by Graham Bland »

Roger is right, Jack is the one to talk to for sure!
Brian Christiano

Emmons Volume Pedal adjustments

Post by Brian Christiano »

I recently had a pot go out on my Emmons pedal that I purchased many years ago. I had not had a problem until then so I replaced the pot and string for the pulley. It took me awhile to get the proper adjustment for the rotation, but now I seem to have another issue with it that didn't exist before the replacement.

When I put the pedal down on the floor, the pedal wants to rotate to almost full volume just due to the weight of the pedal itself. This is annoying because I want it to minimum volume as the default position like it was before the pot replacement. I have tried adjusting the string spring tension but have not been successful. I have looked for other adjustments but haven't found any.

What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Roger Crawford, glad to see you on here. You know the pedal I am talking about.....
I purchased a Hilton as an alternate pedal since the Georgia show. However, I am used to my Emmons.
Brian A. Christiano, MSME, P.E.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.
Josh Dubin

Post by Josh Dubin »

There's an allen head screw on each side of the pedal that lets it pivot on the frame. You might try tightening those slightly. Too tight and the pedal won't work smoothly.
Josh Dubin
Nashville, TN
Eddie Thomas

Post by Eddie Thomas »

Thanks Josh, but the problem I have, is the pulley is missing from the volume pot shaft. I have purchased 2 off the Forum and both are missing the cam or pulley that goes on the shaft of the volume pot. No one, even the Emmons company, know where to find them. Emmons couldn't tell me who made the volume pedals. So the search goes on. Thanks, Eddie
Larry Hopkins

Pulley for pot

Post by Larry Hopkins »

Hi Eddie,you might look at pots for Ernie Ball pedals they come with a pulley on them ,that might work on your Emmons pedal .the pots are like 12.00 on eBay.use the pulley and throw the pot away.someone on here would know if the shafts are the same size. :D
Larry
,peavey renown 115,Vegas 400, Peavey envoy, peavy bandit 65 head,baby bloomer
2 -Nashville 400, Emmons SD-10 legrande lll ,Emmons Black Rock ,sho-bud pac a seat,,;
Graham Bland

Emmons volume pedal

Post by Graham Bland »

Eddie,
I was told by Jack years ago that the foundry that made the parts for The original Emmons company made the parts and the actual pedal was assembled at the factory on Webb Avenue in Burlington N.C.
However I feel sure that anything that you need in the way of replacement parts for your Emmons pedal you can get from Billy Knowles at Steel Guitar East.
Billy is a super nice guy and always willing to help!

Billy’s PN IS (910) 296-7428
Brian Christiano

Emmons Volume Pedal adjustments

Post by Brian Christiano »

Josh Dubin wrote:There's an allen head screw on each side of the pedal that lets it pivot on the frame. You might try tightening those slightly. Too tight and the pedal won't work smoothly.
Thanks Josh. I'll give Bill Knowles a call, I use him for my Emmons parts and repairs. It looks like there should be a bushing or spacer between the pedal and the frame to induce some friction for the pedal but mine is sow old it probably is worn out. Billy would know. If not, I can reverse engineer a bushing solution to give it some friction.
Brian A. Christiano, MSME, P.E.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.
Josh Dubin

Post by Josh Dubin »

Also if you go online there's a zillion bushings of all sizes and materials...
Josh Dubin
Nashville, TN
Eddie Thomas

Post by Eddie Thomas »

Thanks everyone!
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Most any pulley will work from a volume pedal as every pedal that uses a pot will have the same diameter shaft- contact Kevin at Goodrich.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

The diameter of the pulley depends on the travel distance of the pedal through its cycle from Off/Low volume to High.

The larger the diameter of the pulley the slower pot turns, But also limits degrees of rotation of the pot.

If you can not find the right size pulley, Send me a private message, I can make whatever size you need to work in your pedal.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Some volume pedals use a spring for tension, So the pedal will sit in one place and not move from its own weight or vibration.

The spring connects from 1 side of the top section, To the opposite side of the base section, Inside the pedal. This puts side pressure on the bushing on 1 side of the VP and causes enough friction, It will set and not move on its own.

If the spring has become unhooked or broke, Can cause the problem with the pedal moving on its own.