Pick-up windings?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Roger Rettig

Pick-up windings?

Post by Roger Rettig »

I know that I ought to be acquainted with these basics by now, but I'm not.

I'm perfectly happy with my stock s/c pickups in my 2000 LeGrande 111, yet I have no clue as to what they may be wound to!

Would there have been a 'standard' winding at the Emmons Co back then?

Is a lower figure (say '15k) brighter-sounding than 20k or is that the other way around?

I tried a 'search' but couldn't find a specific answer.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Yep . 15k is brighter than 20k , everything else being equal , magnets , type of wire , etc .
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Roger, do you have an ohms meter? DVM's are pretty cheap these days.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I think that 20k single-coil pickups are fairly rare. Most of the heavy wound single-coils I've seen measured more like 18k. In my experience, you can make an 18k sound pretty much like a 15k with a one-number adjustment of the mid and treble controls. (There's a lot more tonal lattitude in a good amp than there is in a pickup change.)
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

DC resistance isn't the same as reactive impedance, so you can't directly measure a pickup with an ohmmeter. That will only measure the resistance of the wire, not the inductance of the coil.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Ian Rae wrote:DC resistance isn't the same as reactive impedance, so you can't directly measure a pickup with an ohmmeter. That will only measure the resistance of the wire, not the inductance of the coil.
Yet it is how we measure them when comparing them.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Yes indeed. There will be a correlation based on the assumption that makers use much the same gauge of wire.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Ian Rae wrote:Yes indeed. There will be a correlation based on the assumption that makers use much the same gauge of wire.
Along with the mass of the magnets.
Bob