Tuning Issues with E Lowers

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Samuel Goldstein

Tuning Issues with E Lowers

Post by Samuel Goldstein »

Hi folks,

I’ve been having some issues with the E lowers on my Justice Pro Lite and could use some advice. Long story short, in order to get the lever in tune I have to tighten it so far that it becomes overtuned and the open string goes out of tune. I try to back off the nylon nut so that the changer doesn’t affect the open string, but when I do this I can’t get the lever low enough without overtuning it again. I’m assuming there’s something I can adjust to fix this but I’m not well versed enough in the mechanics of pedal steel to know exactly what. Figured I would check in here before messing with anything underneath the steel. Any advice is appreciated!
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Without providing photos, you are assuming that everyone will know what adjustments are available on a Justice Pro Lite.
Fortunately I found this on the Justice site. I've illustrated this on the wrong lever but it should apply.

You have two options:

1) You can move the pull rod to a hole in the bellcrank that is farther up, away from the cross shaft (green arrow).

2) You can loosen the locking nut and move the lever stop to allow for the lever to move farther (red arrow).

Both options are good but I'd probably move the pull rod first.
Side effect: The feel will be a little stiffer. If you would prefer having a longer pull without adding resisance to the feel, you can opt for method two.

John Hyland

Post by John Hyland »

Depending on how much additional tuning you need if it is less than say an eighth of a note then adjusting the pedal travel can be easiest (jon light’s red option) and offer insignificant extra pedal travel.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

If you are working with the 4-8 string lower of E, The 4th being plain, And the 8th being wound. Check the diameter of the the core string in the 8th string, Make sure it is same size of 4th string or larger.

Rule of physics, The smaller the string, The farther it must be pulled or lowered to reach proper note. Start with smallest string.

Loosen the nylon tuner on the 8th string, Till no movement.

Then work on the 4th string moving the pull rod in the bell crank and/or adjusting the lever stop to reach the lower note against the stop. The smaller string lever stop is now set.

Then adjust 8th string. If the string will not lower to note, Move the pull rod in bell crank to reach the proper note. (The same size or larger string should tune in the smaller strings stop setting.)

(If the core wire of the 8th string is smaller, The process may have to be reversed and have to start with the 8th string.)
Good Luck in this project, Happy Steelin.