Al Perkins Interview

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Dawson

Al Perkins Interview

Post by Steve Dawson »

Hey there, I sometimes interview steel players on my podcast, and this week I have Al Perkins on and thought some of you might enjoy it. We get into all kinds of stuff that is pretty steel-centric. Hope you enjoy it, I did!

https://www.makersandshakerspodcast.com ... al-perkins
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Thanks for posting that, Steve. Al played at Scotty's. Maybe two years in the early 90's and played dobro, if I remember right.
If someone was there, please chime in.
He came on my radar with Stephen Still's group, Manassas.
Nice to hear how he got his steeling start. A west Texas boy too.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Many thanks! I have listened to it up to 45 minutes where you talked about "The Last Of The Red Hot Burritos". Also great Lead guitar from him on that album.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Al Perkins is one of the true pioneers in the PSG's affiliation with country rock music.
Seems he never played a wrong note during his extensive PSG portfolio, or his Dobro work with Emmy Lou.

And Chris T, Al Perkins returned to Scotty's Convention in 2009 and knocked me out with his version of "Crossroads" on his stand-up Fender steel. Here's that same song at a NAMM show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFNv4P36cc..

He told me that to keep things simple, he tunes his "lap steel" to Open D - same as his Dobro.

And Al's CD entitled "Triple Play" is one that folks should have in their collection.

Great interview of a religious & Humble man

Ron