Need Input on a Couple Gigging Situations

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Aaron Brownwood

Need Input on a Couple Gigging Situations

Post by Aaron Brownwood »

After gigging regularly for the past couple years I have never had my rig in front of a pyrotechnic display. It was a sparkler fountain, or a "gerb" from what I read online. We played this little festival and the sound guy was all stoked on his new fireworks. It went off like 4 times during our set for like 10 seconds at a time, has anyone else dealt with this? Is that normal for a firework to be at the front of the stage like that?

Got home and unpacked and my guitar has black and white soot stuck to it, underside on all the metal belcranks and rods. My amp too I can feel the grit when I turn the knobs.Its like super fine white sand mixed with black soot. I used pressured air and wiped it all down and it got rid of 95% of it but I see it on the rollers especially and the underside still. Gonna wipe it all down again but wondering if I need to take stuff apart or use any special cleaner?

My other question is playing outdoors at night when it's dewey and misty. Had a gig tonight and there was so much precipitation on my rig, it was misting very fine but steadily. Drummer was concerned for cymbals but rest of band didn't care, including band leader. Bar got stuck a few times. I don't know at what point there's a risk to my guitar and amp when it's that wet out. Anyone else play in these conditions?

Just a couple random questions. Thanks to anyone who replies

Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

OK....

As working professionals, we don't have much control over weather conditions or lamebrain promoters who hire fireworks companies. Our options are either to turn the gig down or negotiate substantial compensation for our discomfort and accelerated wear on our work tools.

In a somewhat analogous situation, New York City Administration is relatively unconcerned with the traffic conditions in that city that will trash a taxicab in a few months' time. Yellow Cab, however,is, and recoups the equipment damage in fares.

Just business. Y'know?
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Lesson learned, I guess. Now you know what to expect and you can choose what to do in the future.

FWIW, I believe music is all about flash and spectacle. Everybody expects that stuff anymore. Nobody gives a tinker's damn about the music really.

When was the last time you saw a professional show where people came to actually just hear and enjoy the music? It's all about the party and experience...same now with the big country shows as with rock and roll shows where all that started. One of the reasons I find that beard and ballcap and half dressed girls in so called "country music" of today so fake and unpalatable.
Aaron Brownwood

Thanks Dave and Jerry. I get it that it's part of the realities of today's live music expectations and just natural weather events. It makes me realize why some players get a home rig and have a road rig. Kinda like a work truck and a daily driver. Maybe I just start saving for a second rig.

This particular gig was really fun otherwise, there were probably 500 people engaged with the band, everyone clapped along and we had crowd participation with singing Merle Haggard tunes. People did some of the line dances to a pop country song I won't bother mentioning. Got to eat for free from 30 food vendors (which I sure did, free food for a working musician? Although I don't recommend eating a huge piece of banana cream pie before a set :))

The gig in the mist last night paid $500 to play mostly merle haggard, George strait and Alan Jackson songs. I never had so many people take videos of my playing up close. They were so stoked. One 70-something guy yelled out "this guy is cooking on that thing!" With a big ole smile, cowboy hat and bolo tie.

Gigging full time is a wild confusing way to make money.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Sounds like a good gig and a good time. Good for you. Certainly didn't mean to discourage or criticize.

I think most of us have to weigh out the balance between unpleasant issues and the positive side of playing for a living. Hopefully the good outweighs the bad. Enjoy!
Aaron Brownwood

Thanks Jerry, I did not take it in a discouraging way. I do appreciate the input, it helped me with the frustration I had. It's certainly worth it!
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

A country band that wears cowboy hats??

What a concept! ;-)
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

It's a wild ride out there ! If it looks like you will be dealing with fireworks consistently you may want to look into some sort of protection like those acrylic screens they put drummers behind when they are unable to stop bashing their cymbals. Or maybe a tarp over the amps.
Bob
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

There's yet another good reason why I always set up near the back of the stage...more than just having drunks come up and fall into my steel, which has happened to me, and I'm sure to others.... I let the singers have the limelight...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Aaron Brownwood

Steve that's usually where I am at, however this stage had a DJ booth where I usually go. Chalk it up to an unusual experience I hope to not deal with again. And if I do, I'll know how to clean it up faster haha.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

Sounds like you had a great time, Till the fire works.

To Be On The Safe Side.
Take a good look at any of your gear that has Copper or Brass, Check Nut Rollers and such on your guitar. Fireworks contain Black Powder, Sulphur being 1 on the components of Black Powder will turn Copper or Brass real black and actually put some fine pits in the metal. Salt Peter will collect moisture. Charcoal could or may affect aluminum, It is 1 step from wood ash which is Caustic, And Caustics will etch or stain Aluminum.
EDIT to add.
I had a Senior Moment. With Charcoal in Black Powder, When the Charcoal burns, It would become wood ash and be Caustic .

Hot soapy water is about the best cleaner I have found for Black Powder smoke and goo. Polish after cleaning.

If there was a lot of smoke and got into amp. or other electronics items, May mess up Copper or Brass contact points.

Happy Steelin.