best compact reverb delay pedal for PSG.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ivan Posa

best compact reverb delay pedal for PSG.

Post by Ivan Posa »

I am just in the process of building a very compact case based rack to house my Sesh 400 pedal a Peterson Stomp mini tuner and a compact Reverb Delay. Looking for suggestions on the compact Reverb/Delay unit, trying to keep it as simple as possible.Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
Joe Hensley

Post by Joe Hensley »

Keeley Caverns is a price conscious, yet feature rich, Reverb & Delay in one you should check out.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I’m in the same position you are. I recently purchased a Sesh 400 and a Ganz Straight-Ahead power amp and love the way they sound together with my Emmons LeGrande. I tried the Sesh with various other power amps but the Ganz is definitely the ticket .

I’m currently testing both the Keeley Caverns vs Nux Atlantic reverb/delay pedals to use with the Sesh/Ganz rig. Both pedals sound great and I’m having a tough time deciding which one to keep.

The Ńux is perfect for a great country sound. It has 3 terrific reverb options. The “hall” & “plate” are luxuriant, but the “spring” is nice too. All 3 delay options are discernibly different but each sounds excellent. The only con is that the reverb has no tone knob, which I usually use to subdue any harsh reverb reflections. That said, it hasn’t been a problem so far . If you like a “shimmer” effect, it must be activated by the foot stomp switch, so it’s impractical to engage mid-song.

The Keeley reverb sounds pretty nice but the 3 options are more 6-string oriented (spring, shimmer & modulated). All modes are useful but for me, the “bread & butter” spring reverb isn’t quite as nice as the Nux options. The delay choices on the Caverns likewise are modulation-based. The Keeley lends itself to some very cool ambient-type effects that expand the normal steel sound spectrum . The “shimmer” effect on the Keeley is switch operated , so it’s more conveniently engaged on the fly.

Using both with combined reverb + delay sound great. At this point, I’m leaning slightly toward the Nux, but haven’t yet made a final decision.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

My Nux beat out the Keeley after quite a bit of bandstand auditioning. Tap tempo on the Nux and lack of, on the Keeley, is for me, a significant decider. There are a few other reasons for my choice. I do miss some of the ambient features but I didn't use them all that much.
But both these boxes are large, squar-ish units so I don't now if they fit the bill for a "very compact" board.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I just got the Nux Atlantic and am loving it. I was using reverb and delay in my Zoom MS50G. I had one patch for a spring reverb and one for analog delay with plate reverb. It was a real pain in the rear seating cushions to switch between them. With the Atlantic I just need to hit the switch for the effect I want or don't want, plus I can alter parameters on the fly. The Zoom required going into edit mode to change parameters. Not real user friendly on the bandstand. As far as the shimmer effect, I never really got into it. Besides, I can reach the switch with my hand if I ever choose to add shimmer to a pad.

My pedal board mounts on a small tripod stand to my right, so everything is within reach. I also run it in the front effects loop of my Nashville 400 or Nashville 112 using the y cable method of the TRS plug in the input jack of the Atlantic and TS plugs in the in and out efeects loop jacks on the front panel. Looking forward to actually trying it in a live band situation.

I've never tried the Keeley but don't doubt it is good. The price point for both are real close assuming the version 1 pedal (version 2 is $199).
Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 16 Sep 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

As Jon mentioned, the Nux is a little larger than a "standard Boss sized pedal (see pic). I looked for reverb/delay mini pedals but didn't find anything.

Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

“Looking for suggestions on the compact Reverb/Delay unit, trying to keep it as simple as possible”

Doesn’t get any simpler than this. I’ve been enjoying this one lately—-sounds good and doesn’t drive me crazy with too much second-guessing on multiple setting toggles and switches. And very compact.

A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

Brooks Montgomery wrote:“Looking for suggestions on the compact Reverb/Delay unit, trying to keep it as simple as possible”

Doesn’t get any simpler than this. I’ve been enjoying this one lately—-sounds good and doesn’t drive me crazy with too much second-guessing on multiple setting toggles and switches. And very compact.

I used the EQ DispatchMaster for a while. Although the delay was really nice, I found the reverb lacking. There are no parameters to adjust it other than the level. i thought the reverb sounded decent in conjunction with the delay, but as a stand-alone reverb, I was underwhelmed.
Brooks Montgomery

Tony Glassman wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:“Looking for suggestions on the compact Reverb/Delay unit, trying to keep it as simple as possible”

I used the EQ DispatchMaster for a while. Although the delay was really nice, I found the reverb lacking. There are no parameters to adjust it other than the level. i thought the reverb sounded decent in conjunction with the delay, but as a stand-alone reverb, I was underwhelmed.
Yeh, as a standalone reverb, there are better choices. I have a Neunabar Wet reverb pedal (that I like a lot) and a Boss DD-3 delay that I’ve used together in the past and still have. But I was looking for a simpler, smaller pedal board. I use the Dispatch Master at low settings, blend reverb and delay, and I get what I was trying to accomplish with the other two pedals.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

The Boss RV-3 is pretty popular with players and this I guess, Behringer clone I'm offering up for sale here: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=394363
Richard Sinkler

The biggest bummer for me about the Dispatch Master is the apparent inability to turn on/off the delay and reverb individually.
Brooks Montgomery

Richard Sinkler wrote:The biggest bummer for me about the Dispatch Master is the apparent inability to turn on/off the delay and reverb individually.
From their instructions:

To Use the Dispatch Master as a Delay Only:

Turn the Reverb control all the way down

Adjust the Time, Repeats, and Mix controls to taste

To Use the Dispatch Master as a Reverb Only:

Turn the Time and Repeats controls all the way down

Adjust the Reverb and Mix controls to taste

THIS IS IMPORTANT! In Reverb-only mode, the Repeats control has a secondary function. It can be used to adjust the decay, depth, and tonal quality of the reverb! Turn it up for more dynamics and a thicker tone.
Tom Wolverton

Dm

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Another vote for the Dispatch Master. I’ve used it for years. It’s served me well.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
David Farrell

Post by David Farrell »

I have a HOF mini reverb pedal. It small, has one knob & I like it.
Dave

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

In Reverb-only mode, the Repeats control has a secondary function. It can be used to adjust the decay, depth, and tonal quality of the reverb! Turn it up for more dynamics and a thicker tone.
I don’t understand how one knob individually adjust 2 different parameters (decay & tone)? Could it be that with the” time” knob turned down that the “mix” controls depth, the “reverb” knob controls decay & the “repeats” knob controls tone?

That said, the EQDM is definitely a quality FX pedal, I just enjoy having the greater “tweak-ability” of the Nux and Keeley.
Richard Sinkler

Brooks... thanks for the info. I still would prefer to hit a switch than twist knobs. There are times when I will add delay to a certain spots in songs. Having to reconfigure a bunch of knobs wouldn't work for me.

Using my Zoom MS50G is similar. I have a reverb patch and a reverb/delay patch. To change, I have to press the menu button, then turn the knob to highlight the correct patch, and press the button to activate it. Too inconvenient and the reason I got the Atlantic. The other thing I don't like about the zoom is not being able to change parameters on the fly. You have to enter edit mode, edit a parameter or more, then save it. Sometimes reverb could need adjusting based on the room or outdoors.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

BOSS RV-5
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

This one has stayed in my pedal board the longest. Very lush and adjustable reverb plus lots of other fun stuff. It will accept a "tap" in if you want to complicate things.

Only drawback in my opinion is the tiny lettering... :eek:

Tom

ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Fender Tube Amps and stuff...
Jacob Yergert

Post by Jacob Yergert »

I think you've got a lot of great options, it just depends on how much you want to spend or flavor it.

Simple: As some others have said, the Keeley Caverns is well-loved. It's got 8 knobs, but is generally really easy to dial in.
https://flipside-music.com/products/kee ... -reverb-v2

High Quality: If you like vintage-tinged stuff with a high ceiling if you want to care to deep-dive, the Strymon El Cap is amazing. It's modeled after an old Echoplex, but it has a spring reverb built in as well. You can either use just the face buttons, or go menu-diving.
https://flipside-music.com/products/hou ... dtape-echo

More spendy: The RE202. It's the digital version of the Space Echo with reverb on it, but it's got all the tapey sounds you need.
https://flipside-music.com/products/hou ... dtape-echo

The Rumble Seat from Analog Alien is going for an all-in-one rockabilly machine, but is probably pretty expensive for what you would get in a Pedal Steel context.
https://flipside-music.com/products/ana ... verb-pedal
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Anyone try this ..... :?:

David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Jay, that is the Zoom pedal I’ve been using for years and couldn’t be happier. There’s a learning curve and it’s somewhat more challenging to navigate than many previous units. But the effects and versatility in such a small pedal is of superb quality!
Dave 🙂
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Seems to be double posting! 🙂
Last edited by David Higginbotham on 22 Oct 2023 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

I The Nux “Damp Reverb” is great. It uses the same great reverb electronics found on the Nux Atlantic” but without the Delay function. The unit has three reverb options (spring, plate and hall). The knobs include: level, tone and decay. It also has a hidden “shimmer “function.

It’s footprint is tiny, and so is the price. They go for $79 on Amazon.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Mooer delay/reverb. Very small.
Bill Hatcher

Post by Bill Hatcher »

Moore delay/reverb. Very small.