Jerry Blanton

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Herb Steiner

Jerry Blanton

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jerry Blanton, San Antonio Texas steel guitar legend, as a player and as a builder of exceptional instruments for almost 60 years, passed away yesterday at age 87 from cancer. This is a sad day for long-time Texas steel guitarists, and perhaps others who've made music with Jerry, or owned and played his unique instruments so enjoyably.

I have some great reminiscences of my interactions with Jerry as I am sure others here on the forum will contribute. More to come later.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

It was an education and an honor to work on Stu Schulman's Blanton guitar. I had a question or two and it was suggested that I should call Jerry. But I'm sort of too shy so I never did.
I'm happy to say that when it came time to find a home for this guitar, I hooked up with someone who really appreciates Blantons. It's in the right place.
My huge respect to Mr. Blanton. Rest In Peace.
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

So sorry to hear this. Great player and person and a true legend
Go rest high on that mountain my friend..
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Gordon Borland

Jerry Blanton

Post by Gordon Borland »

Good bye my brother. There are no words to express my sadness. I look forward to meeting up with you again in Gods house...soon.
YOUR FRIEND Gordon.
Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

Years ago, I met Jerry at a Marlboro country talent show in San Antonio. At the time, I had one of his mid-70s D10 guitars. He came up, and introduced himself.

In the conversation, I did have the presence of mind to ask him where he came up with the idea of putting the rod tuners underneath, instead of the usual endplate. He told me he got the idea from an elevator mechanism he saw when he was a maintenance worker at the jail in George West, TX.

Makes me proud to have had such an encounter with him.
U.S.A.F. 1978-1982
2005 Carter S12U 7x5
1978 Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8x4

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

So sorry to hear of Jerry’s passing. I am a fan of his pedal steel designs.
Although I didn’t get the opportunity to play one of Jerry’s guitars, I thought they were top notch. Rip .
Leslie Blanton

Post by Leslie Blanton »

He passed peacefully, on his birthday.
C E Holden

Post by C E Holden »

A bona-fide genius, and a helluva nice guy. I’m glad I got to meet him and that I have had the privilege to work on and own several Blantons myself. A Blanton bellcrank is a thing of beauty. Rest in peace, good sir.

"il brutto"
Chance Wilson

Post by Chance Wilson »

Condolences to his family & friends. He lives on in his work with steels built as solid as Mt Rushmore and his pickups are epic too. We never met in person but I had the privilege of good conversation. I haven't had a cigarette in decades but danged if I don't miss steels with the ashtray option. Rest in Peace.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

RIP Jerry, I wish we could've met!
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

He was a great innovator. His pull system was genius. He left a mark that will never be erased.
Mike Ester

Post by Mike Ester »

Duane Reese wrote:He was a great innovator. His pull system was genius. He left a mark that will never be erased.
There's my old guitar. It did clean up nice.
U.S.A.F. 1978-1982
2005 Carter S12U 7x5
1978 Sho-Bud Pro II Custom 8x4

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Mike Ester wrote:There's my old guitar. It did clean up nice.
Yes it is! Last guy who owned it was Willie Farris. I wonder if he still has it. 🤔

For those who are wondering, this is the type of puller that the Blanton guitar used.

The rounded void in the bottom is where it would hold onto the round cross shaft with a set screw; and then the pull rod would attach to the rectangular movable part on the left with another set screw. The other end of the rod went into a slot on the relatively simple changer finger.

There were no tuning windows on the back of the frame, just two tone knobs. You'd tune it with the knurled screw on the puller, and it had the same effect as putting your pull rod in a different hole in a bell crank — the further from the center of the cross shaft, the greater the raise or lower. The pedal action was always smooth and light.

Mike, I remember you telling me that story! The idea is genius.
Tony Glassman

Post by Tony Glassman »

RIP to one of the steel guitar innovators. His guitar were elegant in their well thought-out simplicity.