Bob Maickel

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

John De Maille

Bob Maickel

Post by John De Maille »

Bob Maickel, the founder and president of The Pedal Steel Guitar Association passed away last weekend. He had been in ill health lately and took a fall at his house and passed shortly after at the hospital.
He was a founding father and had been at the helm of the PSGA since 1973. He was an avid supporter of the steel guitar and ran all of our PSGA shows, which, included many Nashville great steel players.
He will be deeply missed. May he Rest In Peace.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

So sad to hear, Bob was a great man and a champion for the steel guitar community.

He always treated me with respect and compassion!

RIP Bob!

ImageBob and Jody Carver, he was so fond of Jody!

Image Bob and Bruce Green from Down Under, Bob was so happy to have Bruce play at the PSGA show

Image Bob hosting the show as he did for so many years!
Last edited by Craig Stock on 1 Sep 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

I always made time to visit Bob when he came to the Texas show. I will miss Bob and his beautiful sense of humor. RIP my dear friend. SLIM
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I'm very sorry to hear this news. He accomplished a lot for the steel guitar during his lifetime, and will be much missed. May he rest in peace.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Terrible news! Bob did make a great contribution to the steel guitar and the players. Rest well Bob, you made so many pickers happy for years. Prayers for his family.
Last edited by Ben Lawson on 17 Sep 2023 4:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Scott

Post by Michael Scott »

I’m so sorry to hear about Bob’s passing. He was an important member of the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame Nominating Committee. His knowledge was impeccable and he will be sadly missed.

Michael Scott
President
The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame, Inc.
St. Louis, MO.
a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization
Tax ID #43-1344660
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Sad news and we are sorry to hear this. He was very supportive of The Steel Guitar World. Prayers for his Family and many Friends
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Sorry to hear this. Bob was another champion of the steel guitar. Bob and I are the same age.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Sad to hear we lost another icon and champion of the steel guitar industry. Bob's strong presence will be sorely missed. Rip. Bob.
manny escobar

Post by manny escobar »

Ending life can make it so difficult when such an important person like Bob passes away. It was so much fun and excitement when he was able to get so many super pickers to perform.
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Sad news. Bob was a good friend to me. I enjoyed being a part of the PSGA Newsletter for many years, with Bob as the editor. He loved the steel guitar, and I will miss him. My condolences to his many friends.
Chuck
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Sorry to hear this news. I did not know Bob personally but attended many of the PSGA shows that he organized and where he served as MC. I got to see and meet many of the steel guitar great players while attending Bob's shows. My condolences to his family and friends.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

I am so sorry to hear this.

Bob had his booth behind the sound booth at the ISGC for as long as I can remember. He would come and sit in the sound booth and just chat.

He presented me with the PSGA Appreciation Award in 2007 for my work promoting the steel guitar and for my playing ability.

We will miss you Bob.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Chris Caruso

Post by Chris Caruso »

Sad news. Bob was a great guy
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Devastating news. Meeting Bob and Cathy in St. Louis was something I was looking forward to every year. I spent quite some time at the PSGA booth for sure. Bob was such a pleasant person, a quiet and smart man, with a sharp mind and a good sense of humor. The Steel Guitar world lost another icon.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Bob, let me say a heartfelt "Thanks" for all you did and just being you.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Mike Gross

Post by Mike Gross »

Rest in peace, Bob! We'll miss you!
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

Bob was a wonderful guy and a tireless supporter and promoter of the steel guitar. Great memory of Bob was receiving the 1983 PSGA Appreciation Award from him alongside Ralph Mooney at the St. Louis Convention.

Deepest sympathies and condolences to the family. Rest in peace, Bob!
Last edited by Frank Freniere on 5 Sep 2023 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Very sad news Bob always had time to talk with me. I didnt know him well but he seemed like a great guy. Thoughts and prayers for Bob and his family.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
John Brabant

Post by John Brabant »

Just seeing this. Very sad to see my friend Bob who I first met back in 1979 has left us. Such a kind and thoughtful man.... and as others have said, a really smart guy. Thank you for letting us know John. Amazing guy and advocate for the steel. I believe the PSGA was the first of its kind, founding sometime in 1973. Bob had foresight and heart. We need to keep Bob's vision and lifetime investment going. Hoping another for another PSGA show event this November. RIP Bob.
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Thanks Jim. I couldn't seem to share that to the forum..
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

So many thanks Bob for inspiring so many to keep after the steel, especially by bringing top players to his show and producing the PSGA newsletter.
In Hawaii, there's a saying, "once you get Hawaiian sand in your shoes, you'll always return".
Bob put a lot of sand in steelers shoes.
Rest easy, Bob.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Tony Palmer

Post by Tony Palmer »

This instrument of ours and the passion it creates has produced some pioneers and ultimately legends in the pedal steel. Bob was one of them. He had the foresight to organize such a great association, the PSGA, and the determination to bring annual concerts to the northeast before anyone else did. A true steel guitar hero. RIP Bob Maickel
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Beard Model E dobro, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Dean Nickless custom dobro
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

Very well said Tony!
He will be missed by all of us.
Tiny Olson

Post by Tiny Olson »

I only met Bob twice and spoke to him on the phone a few times. He sure seemed to be a great guy and like so many have already said, he did so much toward promoting the steel guitar.

My prayers and condolences go out for his family and friends.