Rack mount power amp--pre amp driver.

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Keith Hilton

Rack mount power amp--pre amp driver.

Post by Keith Hilton »

Many of the big rack mount amps need a pre-amp to drive the input. Many people use powered mixer boards with preamps that drive the input of these big rack mount amps. I was told today that some pedals-- like the Fender 59 pedal-- has a preamp strong enough to drive the big rack mount amps. In that case the Fender 59 pedal's strong output could distort the input of Fender, Peavey, and Evans guitar amps-- that all have their own preamp. That might explain why some people get distortion using some of these newer pedals that have a tremendously strong preamp output. I was told that there are other pedals out there that can also output a really strong output, one that will drive the big rack mount amps. Does anyone know the names of other pedals that will distort normal amplifiers that have their own preamps?
Ken Morgan

Post by Ken Morgan »

I believe anything designed as a boost (Xotic, BBE, etc), most anything with 2-3 bands of tone control, Mesa guitar and bass preamp pedals…Ampeg…Quilter Interblock or Superblock…

Just about all of them that have an output knob I believe can seriously overdrive any subsequent preamp.
67 Shobud Blue Darling III, scads of pedals and such, more 6 strings than I got room for

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX