Outdoor Events Open or Closed Back Speakers?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Overstreet

Outdoor Events Open or Closed Back Speakers?

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I haven't seen this addressed before here.

I'm committed to a big family farm picnic in a few weeks.

Setup will be outdoors on a flat bed semi or farm trailer with a tongue for the drums.

I'm trying to decide which would be better for the best coverage for both the stage and the audience. Hopefully mic at least one of the speakers but I never know if I'll get in or not.

I will use a pair of nearly identical BW 12s in either closed or open back cabinets.

Any thoughts....experiences?
Bryan Parnell

Post by Bryan Parnell »

Closed back speaker cabinets are a fair bit more directional, but they do sound different due to how loudspeakers operate. If you can find the tone of closed back cabinets acceptable, that is what I would recommend.
Jerry Overstreet

Thanks for your response Bryan. At the barn where we jam, I'm using a pair of my own design closed, ported kick back style cabinets. I like 'em just fine. I've used both closed and open back cabs on the stage without noticing a lot of difference but that's in an indoors environment.

Anybody have any comparison experience in an outdoor situation?
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

It makes very little difference, I always use open back combo amps indoors and out.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Last weekend was the first time I'd used a closed-back cab on steel, and the first time in many years I'd used one with six-string.Still getting used to the difference. Seems just very slightly more compressed with more high end. I'll be using the closed cabinet (clone-Bassman with 2 Celestion 12s driven by a Twin-Reverb head) again this weekend; I'll see what I think then.
Len Amaral

Post by Len Amaral »

I played a closed-back Polytone for many years and maybe that's why I prefer a closed-back cab for pedal steel. Single notes seem more percussive and the sound is consistent at different volume levels to my ears. Actually, a single Stereo Steel cab seems more expressive than two cabs. YMMV....
I survived the sixties!
Jerry Overstreet

Thanks Lenny. Thanks all.

Here's what I decided to do. I have a Tube Works 12" cabinet. I had forgotten that it has a removable back for open or closed sound. I also have a clone of that TW that I built some time back.

I fashioned a similar panel to close in the back of my clone then went one step further putting a 2" port in the panels so all I have to do is see how they sound one way and if I don't like it, I'll try it one of the other ways.

I have a cap to close off the ports, so I have 3 options. Open back, completely closed back/cab, closed back with a port. Issue solved....now if I could just play the danged thing 😩