How many other folks are playing high C13 on eight string?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Glenn Burleigh

How many other folks are playing high C13 on eight string?

Post by Glenn Burleigh »

I have really come to enjoy playing my single neck eight string in a variation of Cindy Cashdollar's high C6 tuning. Basically, I just sharp the lowest string up to the 7th. It is super convenient and fun to play. I love how the string order mirrors A6, rather than the lower 8 string C6 tuning. I started of on A6 and am more acclimated to that order.

Who else is out there using this tuning? I really wish I had found it earlier.
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

I use a C13 tuning like yours, but I use an octave high Bb for the last note, just a half step higher than the 4th string A.
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Glenn Burleigh

Post by Glenn Burleigh »

I'll try that out, too!
Dekley Slimline 3x4, Sho~bud Professional, Encore 3x5, Fender Custom Professional, Gold Tone PDS-D, Melbert Roundabout, Gibson Les Paul Junior Special, Ibanez Custom Agent, Danelectro U2 Baritone, various Teles and Strats.
Jim Fogarty

Post by Jim Fogarty »

Yes, I play that tuning for C6, mostly. So does Jr Brown, btw.
Mike Harris

C13 tuning

Post by Mike Harris »

I played that tuning for a while, eventually dropped it down to A13, which fits well with a modified B11 on the other neck. It is essentially the same tuning as your C13.
Glenn Burleigh

Post by Glenn Burleigh »

Mike, are you still an octave up from normal A6/C6, ala the Cashdollar tuning? If so, what gauges of strings are you using?
Nic Neufeld

Post by Nic Neufeld »

I use the lower C13 (JAS) but am curious about one thing...if you started on A6, and are used to that, why are you using C6/C13 (at least configured that way)? You're right, the string intervals map straight onto its equivalent A6 tuning...basically you get the b7-1-3-5-6-1-3-5 on both the C or A variant, its the same tuning (albeit I guess you could say, "capoed up"). Do you prefer the tone with the higher pitched stringing, or just find it maps better to common keys? Or I guess...there's lots of tabs in C6, too!

Anyway, was just curious! Mine is almost the same except I trade the top high string for a giant bass C which is fun for what I play. Junior Brown sure plays the heck out of that tuning.
Waikīkī, at night when the shadows are falling
I hear the rolling surf calling
Calling and calling to me
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

Nic Neufeld wrote: Do you prefer the tone with the higher pitched stringing, or just find it maps better to common keys?
I play in a 5 piece band, and I think that the higher tuning sits in the mix better.
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

I use it on the front neck of my Stringmaster, with Leon's E13 on the back neck. Covers a lot of ground for all kinds of "Americana" styles.
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
Jim Mckay

Post by Jim Mckay »

I've got a D instead of G on top on one neck currently as well as the low Bb on the bottom. I get good millage out of that combination. :)
Canopus d-8
Excel Jerry Byrd frypan
T-8 Stringmaster
Glenn Burleigh

Post by Glenn Burleigh »

Nic, the string order on the Cashdollar C6 is the same as normal A6, with the 6s on strings 4 and 8. I'm just sharping the lowest to make it C13. Having the strings in the same order as A6 means all the grips, licks, etc. are basically identical motions. Since I learned A6 first, it's just been nice to have the finger spacings match, etc across the strings. I also find that it being the higher register makes it sit well in a bunch of contexts. With that C13 tuning, I can get away with a single neck in both western swing-y and country styles. If I'm just sitting in with someone and want to travel light, it's become my go-to.
Mike Harris

high C13 tuning

Post by Mike Harris »

Glenn, I'm just three half-steps below you--
G A C# E F# A C# E, low-to-high. Gauges are .056 to .015, a standard Scotty's/SIT A6th set
Tom Jordan

Post by Tom Jordan »

Glenn Burleigh wrote:Mike, are you still an octave up from normal A6/C6, ala the Cashdollar tuning? If so, what gauges of strings are you using?
I just tried the "high C6" on a set of SIT "Scotty's E13th" and the guages are just fine. What's nice is that the Hank stuff can still be played up in the high register, similar to the E13th.

Good topic and I prefer the versitility of the C6 over the E13.

Tom
ZB Custom SD10, Dekley S10, Nashville Tele w/Parson B Bender, Dobros, Lap Steels
Fender Tube Amps and stuff...