My new Beard Trailhead dobro

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

K Maul

My new Beard Trailhead dobro

Post by K Maul »

Yes I call them dobros….
Paul Beard’s new Trailhead design is outstanding in looks and sound. I saw pictures and could not resist. So glad I couldn’t!
The low end is amazing. I tuned the low string down to C and tried some stuff and it carried it beautifully. I tried low bass G tuning and that low D string is very robust and clear. I’m not usually a maple resonator guy, but it’s voiced so well on the low end that I am flabbergasted. I worked up above the frets up around the sound holes playing Hey Good Looking in C. I would never attempt that on my other dobros, but those hi notes really ring out. It has a Fishman Nashville pickup installed but I’ll use a mic whenever possible. It sounds that good. I’ll be playing this one everywhere!
Pictures -
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Paul is arguably THE MAN when it comes to spider bridge designs.

So many models/designs/innovations.

Literally, something for every ear.

h
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

That’s just flat out beautiful. Congrats on getting a fine instrument — would love to hear it. Enjoy!
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

They just keep on outdoing themselves. Congratulations! Absolutely stunning guitar.

Makes my conventional purfled, bound square edge reso look dated. It still sounds fine though.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I look forward to checking them out at ResoSummit in Nashville in November!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Man, that's a beauty.

A collaboration between Paul Beard and his son Ben. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I was visiting with Jerry Douglas after his show a few weeks ago at The Sweetwater Music Hall just north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Mill Valley and we were talking about the Trailmaster. He had great things to say about Ben working along side his dad, and how he has other cool ideas in the pipeline.
Mark