10 string lap for my favorite grips ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Larry Lenhart

10 string lap for my favorite grips ?

Post by Larry Lenhart »

When I had a D10 one of my favorite sounds on the C6th neck was with 9 , 6, and 4th string grip with no pedals and the
the 8, 5, and 3 string grip with no pedals. On my 8 string lap, I cant that sound. I am not willing to give up the top string , which I tune to G (as i did on the pedal c6th). My question is can you give me your input on a 10 string lap and how many of you own one. To my ears those two grips were just rich sounding and I miss it a lot. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any input you can give me.
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp
Guy Cundell

Post by Guy Cundell »

Larry, I can't help with your first grip, a major 7th chord. But the second one, a minor seventh, can be found on A6 as strings 8, 5 & 3. Might be worthwhile checking out A6 which has the same configuration as your C6, high G.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

If you want to go to 12 strings, Reece's ext C6 tuning has those changes
Check out my latest video: My Biggest Fears Learning Steel at 68: https://youtu.be/F601J515oGc
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Plenty of folks play C6 10-string lap... again, your choice on the high string... I use the re-entrant because it gives that flavor of the pedal steel, I have other 8-strings for the high-V note. These guitars are available very cheap as 'practice boards'... stick a pickup on one and go to town.

Roger Edgington, DMinor, Doug Jernigan, Steve Palousek, etc have come upstairs in Dallas and played excellent sets on these tunings. Making me want to pull mine out now!
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Larry Lenhart

Post by Larry Lenhart »

Thanks for the replies,,,I go back and forth with C6th and A6th...to my ears the A6th has a more mellow sound. I think I will put in a search for a 10 string lap and give it a try.
thanks again for your input
Zum Encore, Pedalmaster D10, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, 1976 Ibanez, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, Boss Kamatra 100, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp