On cursing and the middle finger (not what it sounds like)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Darryl Coyne

On cursing and the middle finger (not what it sounds like)

Post by Darryl Coyne »

Hi all, I hope someone can give me a little help with picking. I've been playing for just over three years now and have taken the approach that if I spend most practice time on technique, the music will sound better later. Initially, I spent a lot of time on palm blocking because the traditional sound is what brought me to pedal steel in the first place. After some time of trying to find some position where the band of my middle pick would not pluck the next string up, in frustration, I decided my middle finger was cursed and turned to pick blocking so the attack would be straighter. Pick blocking has been much easier and overall I'm happy with the progress but I still really want to be able to get the percussive sound of palm blocking. The classic licks just don't sound right without the staccato effect. But they also don't sound right when the pick band acts like a second pick on the next string up.
I know that picking is a topic that comes up all the time and very often the solution to my particular problem is to try different types of picks to find one works best. I am currently using NP2's and not opposed to changing but I think that many great players have used them so I won't blame the picks. It has to be my fingers. I'm just wondering if anyone else has solved this problem through technique rather than changing equipment and what you learned along the way. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Will Brown

Picking

Post by Will Brown »

Well I pick block all the time.I don't palm block but I don't have any problem with what you mentioned.but years ago when I first started a really good steel player. And forum member Jerry Knapper told me to get a tennis ball and put it in the palm of my picking hand.And let my picking fingers lay over the curve of the ball and while your watching TV Or sitting around work your fingers like your picking. You will be surprised how this helps belive me the ball helps you to keep the shape of your fingers the way the palm and fingers need to aline etc. It's helps try it you will see good luck
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Darryl, here's something you can try:

On the pick that is catching the next string up, it could be that the blade is curved too much, at least in relation to how you hold your hand. If you straightened your pick blade a little bit, you would be more likely to hold your finger in a slightly more vertical position.

Make tiny adjustments -- because a miniscule change goes a loooong way!
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

It may be your technique. That may have been my problem 5 years ago too. Then I started using ACRI finger picks and the problem was solved.
https://store.banjobenclark.com/product ... picks-pair
I’m not saying they’ll do the same thing for you, nor will they solve every other picking and blocking problem, but I have not gotten a pick band stuck on a string in 5 years of using them.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Reading this with interest, but an issue I'd sort of forgotten about. A hundred years ago this was an issue with me as well. I started out trying to palm block per the descriptions I read about back in the early 70's. YET, according to Jeff, that was pretty much the ONLY way you could play, without any consideration to the different hand shapes we all have. (I think Buddy's fingers were a full knuckle longer than mine) I almost quit because of it, because you couldn't lift the bar, you couldn't block with your bar thumb. ( I'd refer you to Buddy here cause he did ALL of that ). So I predominantly became a "pick blocker" because that was just more natural for me, and Buddy said he blocked by any means possible to get it done.

Sorry about getting out in left field. For me, I think the biggest think with me catching the string in front of the band actually was pick related. Back then I was using the Dunlop picks with the flared band. That and the combination of me "digging" deeper than need be would just exacerbate my already tenuous approach. You may be able to fix the band thing by wearing the pick a little further out on your finger and/or learn to pick closer to the tip of the pick then deeper into the blade. AND as some have suggested you could change the brand of pick you use. NP2's may just not suit how you're made. I've used the NP2's a lot over the years, but also JF's picks, Hoffmeier, Propick, and the Showcase 1941, which are probably my favorites but you may not be able to find them "NEW" anymore.

IF you're unable to fix the band catch by changing technique, I sure wouldn't be afraid of looking into a different pick that helps diminish the problem. To my way of thinking, the LESS you have to think about when playing the easier and better you're going to play. This is a difficult instrument to begin with so if you find a pick that allows you to play and NOT catch the band, then you're ahead of the game.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Darryl Coyne

Post by Darryl Coyne »

Thank you to everyone who responded here! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with me. I thought I was out of finger real estate to use with the NP2's but found that I can get them out just a little further and though it feels weird at first, That little bit (about 1/16") really does help. I went with NP2 because they are so easy to find but I believe I will start trying some others to see what fits my fingers best. The idea with the tennis ball seems novel but it does help. Last year while using a similar ball for tennis elbow therapy, I found my hand position improved a little bit as a side benefit. Probably should have kept it up...
Thanks again for the help!
Marty Broussard

Post by Marty Broussard »

Fwiw, you may want to try the Pro-Pik Reso SINGLE Angled Blade pick.

Best of luck and take care,
MB
"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin