1975 Marlen Tuning Issue — Hex Screws Not Moving

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nate Hahn

1975 Marlen Tuning Issue — Hex Screws Not Moving

Post by Nate Hahn »

Hi folks,

I recently got a 1975 Marlen pedal steel, which as I understand it has a pull-release system.

I read the very helpful document Bob posted online about how to tune this type of steel, but the last bit I can’t seem to do is tune the brass hex screws on the end piece. I tried turning them with the tool I would normally use to tune the nylon tuning nuts, but I can’t get the hex screws to budge at all.

I applied a little WD40, but still no luck. Perhaps I’m using the wrong tool, or perhaps there’s something else I’m missing. Anyone else have any experience with these who can offer some insight? Really excited to start playing this beauty once I can have it tuned up. Happy to post more pictures if it would be helpful.

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I suppose it is possible that they were very loose and were walking, with vibrations, so someone applied Loctite?
In which case you will need much better leverage than that wrench to break the bond. A socket w/ratchet handle?
Ivan Funk

Post by Ivan Funk »

I agree with Jon - either loctite or looks like maybe even rust.

On the Marlen I have I can turn them with my fingers.
Mine has lock springs to keep them from wandering.

I'd get a 3/16 socket wrench and carefully try to break them loose.

Can you get a picture of the inside of the end-plate where the screws come through? Is there rust or gunk?
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

from the appearance of the screws, Rust may be the problem.
Some Kano Kroil might need to be applied and set over night. Let it do its creepy crawly thing. The they should turn easy.
Good Luck getting the problem solved. Happy Steelin.
Nate Hahn

Post by Nate Hahn »

Thank you all for your responses. Ivan, here are a couple closer shots of the screws from the inside. Maybe this will help.

I think this steel was stored in a room that flooded, because there’s a bit of what appears to be mildew/rust on the front metal panels, but I didn’t see much damage of that type anywhere else. But who knows, this could be connected to some water damage, though I tend to think not.

richard burton

Post by richard burton »

A bit of gentle heat may be all that is required to free off the tuning screws
Get a hairdryer and let it warm up the aluminium endplate. The aluminium will expand quite a bit more than the steel tuning screws, hopefully freeing them off