Stringmaster buzzing

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joe Burke

Stringmaster buzzing

Post by Joe Burke »

I’m getting some buzzing on the strings when I bar above the 15th fret. I’ve tried lowering the pickups by turning the screws at the side of each pick up, but doesn’t appear to be much better.

Any tips?

Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

I should add that playing with the bar in the lower frets the sustain rings like I believe it should. Up higher, there is no sustain.
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

Some setup tips from a post I saved authored by Mr. Stephen Cowell:

" Sustain... there are four big screws (not near the edge, under the cover) behind the bridge that determine (to a large part) the response of the guitar. Over time these screws get loose... tightening them will increase sustain and improve the tone of the guitar. If they strip, pull them out and put toothpicks and Elmer's glue back in... when they're tight, the guitar is at its optimum and your high registers will sound better. You can also hot-rod a SM by putting in string-through-body retainers (like a Tele)... not a simple job, but will really bring out playing above the 12th fret, where normally SM's die badly. "

Full thread:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=281696
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

This is gold! Thanks. I will try the suggestions.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

I've decided that glue is bad there! Please just use toothpicks... I've broken screws that are glued in, a real pain to get them out... you have to go back with dowels.

I can see that some of the screws look loose... loosen the strings, then tighten the screws. Don't tighten too much, if you warp the top plate you're not helping the sustain.

I'll go back and edit that post to remove the glue idea.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Try putting quarters underneath the bridge, one one each side. This is a fairly common problem with short scale Stringmasters.
J Fletcher

Post by J Fletcher »

Hi Joe
On my Stringmaster the bolts that hold the necks together had loosened a bit , I removed the diamonds on the back of the guitar , and tightened them up with an allen key . Got rid of the flex . Could help in your case .
Jerry
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

An update: I also had a ground issue. Took my Stringmaster to my local repair shop. He said the two necks were grounded by a staple and had come loose. He reinforced and reattached. Now that it’s back the sustain is also better. I suppose removing the screws and rescrewing helped.

I may still try the quarter trick.