MSA Legend XL

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Barry Yasika

MSA Legend XL

Post by Barry Yasika »

I have a 2020 MSA Legend XL, I've been playing an Emmons LL2 for the last 7 or 8 years. One of the things I'm noticing is that on the first three or four frets, it takes a more pressure and concentration to get a nice clean, clear tone. If I'm not paying attention, it seems I get a bit of a buzz. I checked to make sure the axle for the rollers was clean and that the rollers were clean and clear on the nut but still I can kind of feel feel a difference between it and the Emmons. I've tried a few different bars but so far the only thing that helps is trying to stay aware of the problem and compensate with more pressure and more concentration. I'm hoping I get used to it sooner or later and that with time I'll be able to do it smoother. I was just curious if anyone else may have noticed a similar dilemma. The key head is shorter than the Emmons and the scale has more frets which took some getting used to but I don't think that has anything to do with it. The guitar is the best steel I've ever owned, I love all the newer design features and the way it's built so this isn't really a complaint but more of an inquiry. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Emmons
Dale McPherson

Post by Dale McPherson »

I have 2 Legends and have never experienced that. Maybe try a different brand of strings.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

Dale McPherson wrote:I have 2 Legends and have never experienced that. Maybe try a different brand of strings.
Not to "One Up You", but I've had 3 Legends, though just the "Jolly Rancher" now. ;-) I've experienced what Barry describes on every brand of guitar I've had, but only on the first fret. I tend to probably use more bar pressure than I should across the neck, but maybe thats why its rare that experience this. I also notice that the lighter the bar, the more this might show up. And agree 100% my 2021 Jolly Rancher Legend is the best guitar I've ever had.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

FWIW, Legrandes have gauged rollers, I don't know if Legends do.
Scott A. Anderson

Re: MSA Legend XL

Post by Scott A. Anderson »

Barry Yasika wrote:I have a 2020 MSA Legend XL, I've been playing an Emmons LL2 for the last 7 or 8 years. One of the things I'm noticing is that on the first three or four frets, it takes a more pressure and concentration to get a nice clean, clear tone. If I'm not paying attention, it seems I get a bit of a buzz. I checked to make sure the axle for the rollers was clean and that the rollers were clean and clear on the nut but still I can kind of feel feel a difference between it and the Emmons. I've tried a few different bars but so far the only thing that helps is trying to stay aware of the problem and compensate with more pressure and more concentration. I'm hoping I get used to it sooner or later and that with time I'll be able to do it smoother. I was just curious if anyone else may have noticed a similar dilemma. The key head is shorter than the Emmons and the scale has more frets which took some getting used to but I don't think that has anything to do with it. The guitar is the best steel I've ever owned, I love all the newer design features and the way it's built so this isn't really a complaint but more of an inquiry. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Barry,

All the new generation MSA's come with gauged rollers. If they have been changed or misaligned it can possibly cause this problem. Contact me via email and I'll walk you through it. scott@msapedalsteels.com
2019 MSA Legend 9&9 BL705/Telonics X10 - 2010 MSA Studio Pro 9&9 BL 710s - 1995 Emmons LeGrande II D10 8&8 - E-66's - 1976 Emmons Split Tail PP - Clay Alden 15k SW - Hilton and Goodrich Volume Pedals - Evans FET 500 - Peavey Session 400 - Quilter Tone Block 202 w/Travis Toy Signature 12 and 15 Speakers/Cabinets - Profex II and ART Multiverb Alpha

https://www.msapedalsteels.com

https://soundcloud.com/scott-anderson-42
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBluesteelguy
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I haven't experienced that with my Legend. My initial thought was the same as Scott Anderson's above. The nut rollers are gauged, and the gauges do not run from smallest to largest across the fretboard as one might expect. The 1st and 2nd string rollers have larger radii than some of the other strings. I noticed that shortly after I took mine home. I called Mitchell Smithey. He verified that I wasn't seeing things, and explained that those nut rollers were made that way after much research. If the nut rollers have been removed and replaced in incorrect order, that might very well cause of the problem.
Barry Yasika

Thanks Guys

Post by Barry Yasika »

After reading some of the threads regarding my original post, Scott from MSA contacted me and one of the things he asked me for was a short video me playing the first fret which indecently was where my real problem is located. It was after I read Dale's thread, I was able to pinpoint the problem to the first fret. Like I said in the first post I wasn't sure it was the guitar or me. While I was making the short video for Scott, it suddenly dawned on me that's the only fret I can not "mute" the string behind the bar. The buzzing doesn't seem to be as obvious when playing shorter faster licks on the first fret as it is when playing longer sustained notes especially on the lower strings. It really shows up once I start using bar vibrato, but if I'm ready for it I can avoid the buzzing with added pressure. It might be the shorter head headstock causing me to feel something different. At this point, I'm sure my problem is cockpit error and I'm just going to have to work it out. So, thanks for the responses from those who did. Scott did tell me it was built and then sold on Nov 2, 2020 and I still gotta say it's the best steel I've ever owned. I really like this guitar! I love this guitar!! It really has that modern design edge over a lot of the other inventory out there, but I'm not knocking that stuff at all. I understand that it's not the tools, it who's hands they are in!
Emmons
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

When on I purchased my GFI Ultra a year ago I noticed something similar happening on string one first fret. After a little investigating I found it was because of the short distance to the tuner. I had been used to my old MSA Classic I've had for many years. The old MSA, (I do love it) has a very wide space between the tuners and nut and much room for fingers. I was unconsciously lifting my finger from the string behind the bar to miss the tuner due to the shortened space. Now, no buzzing.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

The problem may be caused by the "rise" of strings as they pass over the nut rollers. To make them conform better to the nut radius, try pushing down on each string very firmly between the nut and the first fret, and see if that helps. ;-)
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

I've had similar problems at times on a variety of steels (mostly MSA). It seems to me like there are two ways to solve your problem (not sure it's completely "pilot error") - get a slightly thicker roller nut for the string(s) that are difficult at the first fret or put on a slightly heavier gauge string for the ones that are giving you trouble.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
Susan Alcorn

Post by Susan Alcorn »

I've had similar problems at times on a variety of steels (mostly MSA). It seems to me like there are two ways to solve your problem (not sure it's completely "pilot error") - get a slightly thicker roller nut for the string(s) that are difficult at the first fret or put on a slightly heavier gauge string for the ones that are giving you trouble.
www.susanalcorn.net

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver