Robert Randolph on current tour: How long does he play?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matthew Walton

Robert Randolph on current tour: How long does he play?

Post by Matthew Walton »

Hi all,

Has anyone seen Robert Randolph on his current tour? About how long does he play?

I got a notification that Robert Randolph will be playing nearby in a few weeks. When I went to look at tickets, I saw that the lineup is listed as:

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
Ziggy Marley
Mavis Staples
Robert Randolph

In that order.

Still sounds fun, but with his name that far down, it'd be a bummer if he only played 15 minutes or something when he's the reason I'd be going.

Thanks!
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Don't know the answer, but what a line-up. I would accept only 15 minutes of steel from Robert if I could also hear a range of acts like that. It's entirely possible that one of those backup bands will make you happy... hell, I would go just to hear Mavis Staples sing this:

The Band - The Last Waltz - The Weight feat. the Staples Singers:
https://youtu.be/TCSzL5-SPHM?t=55
Jonathan Scherer

Post by Jonathan Scherer »

That is a heck of a lineup. Seems like each set would be an hour or so, just a guess.

Does the venue give a time length for the whole shebang?
Maybe Trombone Shorty and Robert Randolph will jam together!
1948 National Dynamic, 1953 Oahu Tonemaster,cheap Aiersi Weissenborn, Hambro custom square neck reso, Carvin X-60A, Fender Acoustasonic 30
and 10, Roland Cube Street
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

The venue shows 6:30 - 10:30. I would guess as the headliner Trombone Shorty will play an hour or more. If Robert is the opener I'm thinking 35 - 40 minutes.

I wasn't aware of this tour - and lo and behold, the Bay Area stop is at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga (Silicon Valley) this evening. Not sold out - but tix in the cheap seats with service charge are ballpark $85 along with a two hour plus drvive from where I live north of San Francisco. Not gonna happen now.

I looked up the tickets for the Irving, Texas performance and there are some priced a lot cheaper than the Mountain Winery. If I lived in Dallas/Fort Worh I would defintely attend.

I've seen Robert live twice. The first time a bunch of years ago he opened for Eric Clapton and came out for Clapton's encore to join him on Sunshine of Your Love. That was pretty cool.
Mark
William Davis

Post by William Davis »

I heard him in Greensboro a couple months back with the same lineup except for Marley. Show started exactly on time, and we were 20 minutes late, so heard his final song only - though killer. So about 30 min. Hope he comes back around to headline.
Note: Do not miss Trombone. One of the best concerts ever. The entire band was great, and all had a chance to shine.
Matthew Walton

Post by Matthew Walton »

Whoops, missed the notification there were new replies.

Thanks all! Sounds like a good time! I'll have to try to rally some friends to join me.
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112
Stephen Silver

Post by Stephen Silver »

Saw that package a couple weeks ago. He played 35min, I think it was 7 songs.
Life is mostly Attitude and Timing
J D Sauser

Post by J D Sauser »

Mr. Randolph doesn't seem attracted to steel guitar conventions so, I found out about him accidentally on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZWHGyku2Gg

... still to the day, in my opinion, his best take on that tune.
I was floored! NOT my style of music, I don't care much about Hendrix.... but the energy, sound and showmanship is just sparkling!

I must admit too, that I love "African American" Gospel music, I have never been attracted to the screamy "Sacret Steel" approach either and he seems to have evolved from that background Rock-Blues and I do enjoy watching his concerts on youtube every now and then.
I think he is one of the GREAT INDIVIDUALISTS... there hasn't been somebody like him that I know.

One may like the style or not, but his musicianship is stellar!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Chris Templeton

Post by Chris Templeton »

Robert's bar hand and right hand dexterity are ferocious!
It's been great to see his rise in the music world, playing with Santana, Clapton, Ringo, Dave Matthews, Greg Allman to name a few.
Here's a picture of him in the dressing room at Madison Square Garden, when he opened for Dave Matthews in 2002 when I was his guitar tech:

Maybe Jackson, Mississippi, 2002

Here he is in a hotel room in New Jersey, around 2000

His mother church is in Nashville and sometimes he'd go to Bobby Seymour's growing up.
I think he met Lloyd Green there.
Excel 3/4 Pedal With An 8 String Hawaiian Neck, Tapper (10 string with a raised fretboard to fret with fingers), Single neck Fessenden 3/5
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

J D, that clip is awesome! He's playing a Fessy there.

I saw Robert Randolph on the Experience Hendrix tour with Joe Satriani, Jonny Lang, Eric Johnson, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Respect! It was amazing to say the least.

In his set with The Family Band the stage was awash with Fessenden steel guitars. It wasn't that great musically, but it sure was fun, and highlighted Randolph's enthusiasm and unabashed LOVE of steel guitar.