Best volume pedal for lap steel?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Glenn Booth

Best volume pedal for lap steel?

Post by Glenn Booth »

Hope this hasn't been rehashed too much. I am looking for a good volume pedal to use w/ my lap steel guitar that won't break the bank. Thank you!
ercek

Post by ercek »

Yo Glenn
I have an old school Mullen pot-pedal. Ask me about it at gig today!
BE
Brian Ercek
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

Moyo. Small enough that it might fit in your case, built like a tank.
GFI Expo S-10PE, Sho-Bud 6139, Fender 2x8 Stringmaster, Supro consoles, Dobro. And more.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

When I was a guitar player, I used an Ernie Ball. When I started playing steel and was introduced to a Goodrich, it was a whole other level. You can’t go wrong with a Goodrich 120.
Joe Burke

Post by Joe Burke »

The old Fender tone/volume pedals are fun. I believe you can find them at a reasonable price. There are some reissues as well that I think are good.
Greg Forsyth

Post by Greg Forsyth »

Glenn,
I have a Moyo that works well and is built here in Colorado by Glenn Taylor. Reasonably priced
Brian,
Where are you playing today?
I would love to hear some live music today.

Thanks, Greg
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

I have a bunch, Goodrich, Hiltons, Ernie Ball, etc. The Ernie Ball is adequate, not pedal steel friendly because of jacks on front. I have a feeling best bang for buck is used Goodrich or (new) Stage one VP from Doug Earnest. I haven't played the VP but have had 2 of stage 1 steels, great instruments, great service.
Last edited by Gene Tani on 29 Jul 2023 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I use old Sho-Bud pot pedals. Rarely if ever do I play on my lap, so their height is not an issue. I use Deluxe34 stands in either a sitting or standing position.
Notice the trusty old 'Bud pedal hiding behind the Ric. Works for me.
Bill Groner

Post by Bill Groner »

I have a like new. Moyo pedal. It seems I lack the coordination to master it. I have enough going on learning how to play. If anyone would like to buy it
I will sell it for $100 + shipping. PM me if interested. I have used it 2 times.
Currently own, 6 Groner-tone lap steels, one 1953 Alamo Lap steel, Roland Cube, Fender Champion 40
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

Like most people on this Forum, I have tried quite a few and my preference is a Goodrich 120. I used to be a fan of an active Morley but when I changed my amp to a hotter tube model, I found it incompatible and reverted to the Goodrich.
The Goodrich is mechanical and uses a tight string to turn the pot. This can squeak a little during home practice but I never notice it in a gig.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I used an Ernie Ball with lap steel for years. No complaints sitting or standing. I use a Moyo now.
Fred
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

You can get an Ernie Ball pedal with the jacks on the side.
Erv
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

I have used a Moyo for about 3 years now. Love it. All the others make me feel like I'm driving a bulldozer. It takes a minute to get accustomed to it but worth the effort. Very well made and portable which is important to me.
They are available new for 135.00 on Reverb including shipping.
Melbert 8, Remington S8,Remington D8, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Old Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'