Bright string

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Carey Hofer

Bright string

Post by Carey Hofer »

I play an 8 string lap steel (B11 tuning). The strings are B C# D# F# A C# E G# low to high. I used to have a low A on the bottom string but I never used it. I got rid of it and put a G# on top instead, which I use a lot more. Problem is, the G# is too bright.

My question is, it common to have a G# on the first string of any tunings? My scale is 23 1/4". The string gauge I use is .013, don't think I could use a bigger string without breaking it. Is G# just too high for this steel? Guess I could go back to the regular B11th tuning but I like this a lot better. Any suggestions anyone?
Last edited by Carey Hofer on 26 Jul 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

Just spitballing, but how about keeping the same intervals and going down to A11? High string F# maybe a little less bright. A tunings are great for guitar players cause you have same basic positions already familiarized. String gauges would have to go up slightly I suppose.
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

I had a similar issue with an E13 tuning once. The high G# just didn’t fit in, tonally, so I dropped down to a thinner string and that worked. Maybe try a .012?
David K
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

Tried the .012 but didn't seem to make much difference. I did try lowering tuning to G11th. Sounded little dead though. Think maybe I went too low. Tuning to A11th might work. I will try that. Thanks for the help guys.
Tim Toberer

Post by Tim Toberer »

Keep us posted on your progress!
Carey Hofer

Post by Carey Hofer »

I ended up dropping the first string down a step so that it formed a major sixth chord instead of a major seventh chord. Decided I had more use for that tuning anyway. Helped a little. But what finally solved it was, I had Jerry at Sentell build me another pickup. The new pickup is a balanced and full sounding humbucker. Tah dah.