Autumn Leaves - Recording Advice

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Andy Volk

Autumn Leaves - Recording Advice

Post by Andy Volk »

Thanks to some SGF advice about a year ago, I've gotten slightly better at recording acoustic guitars (I pull the input volume down now) but I still suck at recording electric steel. This improvised recording of Autumn Leaves was done direct into GarageBand. How do you mitigate the click of the attack? How do you reduce the overall muddiness? The Clinesmith has incredible dynamic range but I seldom seem to be able to capture it. Thanks for your advice!

https://soundcloud.com/aev/autumn-leave ... -lap-steel
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I use GarageBand as a sketch pad and then later re-record with my DAW. Without the Zoom mic that I use for my ipad, I don’t think I can make acceptable recordings in GB. Check into external mics—the Zoom is really good (to a point).

It sounds like the compression is way up on your track, as the percussive pops are emphasized. Also, it will bring up the reverb volume which can cause some of the muddiness too. Trying dialing compression back a bit.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Yes, compression confuses me. It seems to hurt a track more than it helps. What DAW are you using, Mike?
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Andy Volk wrote:Yes, compression confuses me. It seems to hurt a track more than it helps. What DAW are you using, Mike?
I use Reaper, but then we’re talking about mics, plugins, interface, etc. Reaper is an excellent platform/DAW and as far as I’m concerned is as good as any other. But it’s all a matter of how much energy you put into learning. Sometimes GB irritates me and when that happens I skip the demo process.

A little compression brings out some qualities that I like, if used properly, one being being the percussiveness of attack. But the GB compression and effects in general are pretty meh.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Moved to Music from Steel Without Pedals.

Are you recording directly into GarageBand? Have you tried recording the amplifier rather than going directly into your Mac?

If you record without picks, do you get a similar attack issue?

It sounds to me like the recording is too hot and is overwhelming the input. I don't know enough about how you're doing it to be able to guess at this point.
Last edited by Brad Bechtel on 21 Jul 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Yes, direct in this case. I do some recordings sans picks and some mic'ing the amp. Going without picks softens the attack but also blurs the sound a bit. It might be that GB is as much of a problem as anything else. I have a Persons /USB box and their software but I found it way too complex with the usual teeny tiny text and buttons in the interface. Appreciate your thoughts, Brad.
Fred Treece

Post by Fred Treece »

That is definitely the sound of a high attack setting on the compressor. Too bad, because the playing sounds really good.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Ditch the compressor! They're for pros, and even then, you don't want a steady diet of using one. Buy a good volume pedal if you don't have one, and practice using it to add dynamics and sustain. I also suspect your finger picks are a small part of the problem because there are no clicks from your thumb. ;-)

Good luck!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Thanks!