1949 Ultratone Pricing?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Seth Hancock

1949 Ultratone Pricing?

Post by Seth Hancock »

Hey all!

I am relatively new here in that I signed up years ago but never really followed through until now. I bought this Ultratone and an EH-150 a few years back at an auction because I loved the way they looked and had every intention of learning. But then schoolwork and life and getting back to normal got in the way and I realized I have these two gems just sitting here and think they would be better off in someone else's possession/care. The thing is, I have no idea what they're worth. Here's what I do know...

Actually plays and works
Pots are a little crunchy but I am using the D5 to slowly breakdown any build up in the knobs.
Tone is good
Just re-strung this and it sounds killer - I just wish I knew how to play...well!

I have a lot more photos and can provide them if someone wants to see or know more. I appreciate your feedback and input here.

Thank you!

Seth

Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Reluctant to hazard a guess on value, but will say that the early postwar Gibson Ultratones (and Centurys -- which are nearly identical aside from their paint color, and their fragile Plexiglas fittings) are among the best-sounding lap steels I've ever played, and their relatively wide string spacing makes 'em play like a dream. Excellent instruments.
Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

Sweet guitar, I had one just like it, I traded mine for a Ric B6 and I think the values are still around the same, $1500.00 ish would be my estimate.
Seth Hancock

Post by Seth Hancock »

Glenn Wilde wrote:Sweet guitar, I had one just like it, I traded mine for a Ric B6 and I think the values are still around the same, $1500.00 ish would be my estimate.
Thank you. I also checked on Reverb and there’s only 1 listed. It’s hard because I’m in LA and there aren’t a lot places to re-sell or possibly trade in versus being in the Midwest or South. Again, thanks.