Pickup choice for push-pull

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John LeMaster

Pickup choice for push-pull

Post by John LeMaster »

First, I will say that I doubt than any pickup will sound better on E9th than the original Emmons single coil. The issue is when there is a venue problem that makes the single coil hum too loud for me. Yes, I have an E-H Humdebugger, and it does cut out the hum. There is also a slight changing of the tone that I do not care for.

So, I have on-hand, a 705 re-issue and a George L Tommy White. I have seen several push-pulls with the 705, and they sound good. I don't recall seeing a Tommy White George L in a push-pull.

Does anyone have experience of putting the TW model Geo L pickup in a push-pull?

Thanks
J L
Magnum D10, Emmons D10 push-pull
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

I had P/P with George L 10-1 pickups and it sounded pretty good.
John LeMaster

Post by John LeMaster »

Thanks, Dave. I've heard push-pulls with George L E66 pickups, and they sounded very good. Glad to hear that the 10-1 does, also. 🙂
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

i am very happy with the telonics x10. about six months ago i was pining for the single coil sound and switched back to the wallace true tones that came with my emmons. i ended up switching back. it's a great sounding pickup.
John LeMaster

X10

Post by John LeMaster »

Thanks for that response, Dave.
I was wondering about the X10, because I have one in my Magnum (by Carter), and it is, by far, the best I've had in that guitar.
I can't remove it from the Magnum, as nothing else sounded as good. Maybe an X10 will pop up for sale here on SGF, or I can always order a new one ($$) from Telonics. 🙂
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

I believe Mike Johnson uses original 705s on his red PP. They sound amazing, but so would anything Mike plays. And I doubt you’ll see any pop up for sale. I wonder how the new 705s would sound.
Mike Wilson

Post by Mike Wilson »

I've used 705's and they were good. I them went to 710's and in my opinion they were great. Just depends on your ear.