Double-T 15 with a 75' Session 400 settings

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Kerry Johnson

Double-T 15 with a 75' Session 400 settings

Post by Kerry Johnson »

I just put a new Double-T 15, 4 ohm speaker in my 1975 Session 400.
Driven by a JCH - Lawrence 705 pickup.

I searched all the Forum Posts for recommended settings for the Session 400 ... tried them
but they do not compliment the Eminence Double-T 15 speaker.

I've been twisting knobs now for over an hour.

If you have the TT-15 in an early Session 400, would you share your settings. Thanks
~
Last edited by Kerry Johnson on 4 Jul 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Morrison

Post by Dave Morrison »

I have an Ltd 400.( small cab 400). For starters I always go to starting left to right 22255 and then tweek it to the room.
Dave Morrison

Post by Dave Morrison »

Btw, that speaker really brought that amp alive! At least for what I like.
Kerry Johnson

Post by Kerry Johnson »

Hi Dave, & thanks.

Just to be clear, I think your saying the #'s for:
Presence-Treble-Middle-Shift-Bass ?

Right now on the TT15 I'm at:

It’s ok but
Last edited by Kerry Johnson on 4 Jul 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Not knowing what speaker you have used previously with what settings, or what pickup(s) you have, that's a tough ask.

I have done some comparisons between the TT15, Kappalite 3015, EPS15, Fender's "Custome 15" by Eminence, and the JBL K130.

In general I found the TT15 to be a bit hot in the midrange (~300-900 Hz) relative to most other speakers, which can help to cut through the mix but requires some management to keep it from taking over your natural tone. Otherwise it has similar response to all of the Eminence neo units, and like them the TT15 loses pretty much all high frequencies above 3kHz.

If you have previously been using BW or JBL in your rig I suggest
(1) keeping the lows set as before, then
(2) cutting the mids and boosting the highs several notches on the amp relative to your previously happy settings, then
(3) restore mids and trim highs to taste.

This is not how I would normally dial in an amp but I am assuming you have an amp you have already dialed in with another speaker and are specifically re-tuning for the neo TT-15.
Kerry Johnson

Post by Kerry Johnson »

Thanks Dave, I added to my post above the JCH w/ Lawrence 705 pup

I have a JBL K-130 8 ohm, prior to the TT15.

I only have 4 hours on the TT15 & need to give it more time to breakin, but still missing the authority in the bass
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Kerry Johnson wrote:Thanks Dave, I added to my post above the JCH w/ Lawrence 705 pup

I have a JBL K-130 8 ohm, prior to the TT15.

I only have 4 hours on the TT15 & need to give it more time to breakin, but still missing the authority in the bass
Hopefully this helps:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... highlight=

With the same bass settings as before ditch the mids completely and double the previous treble setting, then ease the mids back in until you find that bass definition we love from the K130. With the 3kHz high end roll-off of the TT speaker you can crank the highs without getting the excess string noise that the JBL also reproduces quite well.

I'm sure you'll get it, keep us posted
David Wren

Post by David Wren »

Kerry, this may not help... cause I got my TT-15 in a Quilter cab... and it's a bit deeper cab.... wonderful bass response.

I would try dialing back the bass from your usual setting, but still cutting the mids a bit.

Hope that helps.... you're an awesome player, can't imagine any new equipment to set you back for too long :)
Dave Wren
'96 Carter U12,7X7; 1936 7 string National; Line 6 HX Stomp; Quilter TT-15/TB202; Quilter "Steelaire"; DV Mark "GH 250"with 15" 1501 BW; Boss "Katana" 100 Head w/Line 6 Cab; Telonics VP.