two days in Nashville

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeremie Tepper

two days in Nashville

Post by Jeremie Tepper »

Hi, I'm going to spend two days in Nashville this summer, and I would like to know if you know of any places where we can listen to country bands (with pedal steel guitar of course). I would prefer places that are not too big.
Do you also know hotels, as well as places not to be missed when you stay only two days in Nashville?
THANKS.
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

if you’re looking for country, your best bet is the bars out by opry land. scoreboard and i think nashville palace. you should go and check out broadway just to say you did, and you might get lucky and hear some great music, but you’ll also hear stuff that maybe isn’t depending on your taste. east nashville is worth a look for cool shops and food, and if bbq is your thing bring some tums and dig in.
Andy Gibson

Post by Andy Gibson »

The opryland area is your destination for good steel playing and actual country music…. The palace, music city bar and grill, John A’s and the Texas troubadour theater is where to go. You’ll catch some great players at those joints Mike Sweeney with mel tillis jr, Steve Hinson, Danny Mohammed and more. The scoreboard is mostly jimmy buffet and lynyrd skynyrd cover bands I wouldn’t go in there if I were you, you’ll hear what I mean when you walk by it.
On lower broadway there’s AJ’s owned by Allan Jackson. They keep it country in there and have a live stream on YouTube you should go check out. Always a great steel player in there. Roberts is hit or miss when it comes to steel playing and music but if you’re across the street at AJ’s it don’t hurt to pop in and look around. You’ll see nothing good in tootsies don’t go in there! And if you go to lower broad, take a Uber or a lift because parking is very expensive ($50 for 4 hours on average!). But definitely music valley, or opryland as some call it, is the place to go for hearing and seeing great steel playing plus the parking is free and easy! And don’t forget, please tip the bands! This is how we make a living here. And every dollar you put in the jug is split 4 or 5 or sometimes 6 ways depending on size of the band so one dollar is like giving someone a 20cent tip. Tip big and tip as often as you can.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I believe the The Time Jumpers still play at Third and Lindsley at 8:00 PM on Mondays. Paul Franklin on steel, and other world class musicians and singers. You'll hear a variety of music from traditional country to blues to western swing, to whatever might strike the band's fancy at the time. It's all great. Make reservations and get there early. No two shows are the same. It's a real treat.
Brett Hansen

Post by Brett Hansen »

Andy was pretty modest in his reply above, he didn't mention the best place to go is to the American Legion on Tuesday night's when he and the Cowpokes play most every Tuesday. Do a search for them on YouTube, you'll see what I mean. Laylas on Broadway is worth checking if you have the misfortune of ending up downtown. Last time I was there the people I was with all wanted to go downtown but I lucky enough to see Lynn Owsley at Laylas he's a great player and fun guy to be around.
Dave Campbell

Post by Dave Campbell »

i think i got scoreboard and music city bar and grill confused!
Michael Hartz

Post by Michael Hartz »

Check out the Pam Miller band out at Opryland, I believe at the Nashville Palace, at least on Tuesday nights. My buddy’s son who is an incredible session fiddle player plays guitar in that band. Their steel player is Audie Shields who I believe is one of the most underrated steel players in Nashville. I can’t believe all these years I have never heard of this guy, and yet he has played on the General Jackson Showboat for years. He is an extremely hot picker when he needs to be and yet also plays extremely tasteful licks, and even some off-the-wall stuff. I was completely blown away by his playing, and he is incredibly humble. The night I heard them the great Tyler Hall was playing bass and sporting an Emmons ball cap..😁
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

If you are coming all the way from France, and only staying two days, I would spend one day downtown (Broadway), and one day in Opryland. Or better yet, spend one morning and early afternoon downtown (Broadway) and get your music both nights out at Opryland.

The original and traditional area is Broadway street, active in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and until this day, many many American tourists go there. Its iconic with the old Sho-Bud factory location, and all the traditional venues. But now there is also a modern suburban music hub, Opryland, on the outer edge of town, which is more of a mall and suburban atmosphere. The biggest show of them all, the Grand Ole Opry, is no longer in the center city, its the center piece of Opryland.
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Jeremie Tepper

Post by Jeremie Tepper »

Thank you all very much for your advice. I can better see what to do to enjoy these two days in Nashville.