E9: “Moon River”

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Frank Freniere

E9: “Moon River”

Post by Frank Freniere »

Arranged for a 3x5 copedent.

“Moon River” was written by Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer for the movie “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” in 1961. Although originally recorded by Audrey Hepburn, "Moon River” is more closely associated with crooner Andy Williams who made it his signature song. Oddly, though Andy never released the song as a single, it has become the standard over time. The track HERE was recorded in C#.

During his California period, Buddy Emmons worked with Henry Mancini on a couple of movie soundtracks, including “Sometimes A Great Notion” featuring Paul Newman and Henry Fonda. Years later in 2014 reso wizard Jerry Douglas recorded a breathtaking solo medley of “Till There Was You/Moon River” on the Mike Auldridge tribute album “Three Bells” featuring Douglas, Rob Ickes and Mike Auldridge himself. The only YouTubes of the medley I could find had such poor audio quality I couldn’t bring myself to post them here. It's well worth the effort to find a decent recording.

As it turns out, the album “Three Bells” also features a tribute to … The Big E, called “For Buddy.” Pretty cool!

Last edited by Frank Freniere on 11 Oct 2023 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Frank, thanks for posting this. Such a lovely song for pedal steel.
Jared Ruari

Post by Jared Ruari »

Great work! Learning a lot from this.

One question: on the "der" of wi-der, should the a pedal be engaged along with the f lever? That sounds better to me, but I'm not especially familiar with the tune.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

You are correct, Jared - nice catch!

I've edited the tab to show the A pedal depressed on "wi-der."
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

I always loved Lloyd Green's version of Moon River.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOlifnTCuGg
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo