Dumb as a box of rocks?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jay Jessup

Dumb as a box of rocks?

Post by Jay Jessup »

Spent a decent part of the day yesterday tweaking my new Lawrence 710 pickup to fit in my S-10 GFI, got everything all soldered up and was patting myself on the back for the accessible but hidden coil tap switch location then made sure I tightened the input jack so it wouldn't come loose. I plug it in and nothing, no sound, no hum nothing!! It was late so I figured I'd better sleep on it and if I had alcohol in the house I'd probably have drank myself to sleep.
Get home from work today and screw up my courage to try to figure out what I'd done wrong. My ohmmeter is giving me some weird readings but not pointing to a solution. Finally I take the switch out, that looks fine and so then pull the jack out and @#$%&*+ the ground lug had swiveled around and was touching the hot lug!
Why am I chastising myself in front of God and the steel guitar world? Because it was only then that I recalled doing exactly the same thing when I put the other pickup in a little more than two years ago!!!
If I ever change pickups again hopefully I'll remember to put in a new jack in the process.
As a watch out for anyone who's input jack has come loose then all of sudden there is no sound coming from your guitar---check that jack!
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

We are supposed to learn from history, so consider it a bonus if history repeats itself and gives us an extra free lesson :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hmmmm.........

Kind'a like resoldering a plug (and doing a REAL good job of it, too) on the end of your guitar cable ....... and then having to do it all over again because you forgot to put the plug-cover on the cable first!

........Pat
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

The one thing I really hate about doing any kind of work like this anymore is the guarantee that I will have to disassemble and reassemble, and likely multiple times.
Thornton Lewis

Post by Thornton Lewis »

Measure twice, cut once, curse a lot, get a new piece of wood, repeat. That's my system.