John Rich

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jerry Overstreet

John Rich

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I was reading one of the old Steel Guitar World mag from the 90s and there was mention of John Rich playing or touring pedal steel guitar with the Goldens, sons of William Lee.

I found a few other mentions of him playing with Billy Dean, Gaither vocal band and the Martins.

I'm assuming this is the John Rich we all know from the Big and Rich duo and from the Muzik Mafia producing a bunch of other artists.

Anybody have any further info on him as a steel player or examples of him playing pedal steel?
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

I just looked over his Wikipedia page and there is no mention of his playing steel, nor of playing with The Goldens. Don't take this as gospel, but I'd guess that would be a different John Rich.
Many play better than I do. Nobody has more fun.
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

There is another John Rich in Nashville. He's a multi-instrumentalist who plays steel and lead guitar among other things. His family lives in Florida so he gets here regularly. He's a good musician!
Jerry Overstreet

Yeah, probably a different guy. I'm forgetting my age here as some of the recordings I mentioned were in the late 80s, early 90s where John Rich of B&R would have just been a teenager.

Thanks for that info Ben.
Jeremy Moyers

Post by Jeremy Moyers »

Yeah, it’s not the John Rich from Big and Rich. I actually toured with John, and lived with him, back when he was part of Lonestar and he never played steel. Good guy, great writer, but not a steel player.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have corresponded with John Rich the steel/guitar player quite a bit. I remember him from the Oak Ridge Boys when they were strictly Gospel. He played on 2 or 3 of the Oaks Band instrumental albums along with Tony Brown who became one of the top producers in Nashville.
Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 12 Jun 2023 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Jerry Overstreet

OK. Thanks fellas.
Jerry Overstreet

I just watched an old Austin City Limits with Tanya Tucker and this John Rich was playing pedal steel and guitar so my curiosity has been satisfied. I don't recall seeing him anywhere before.

This was probably recorded late 80s, 90s not sure.