Power Transformer

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Eddie Harper

Power Transformer

Post by Eddie Harper »

I have a Peavey Nashville 1000 without a Power Transformer. Peavey has labeled them as Obsolete. Any suggestions as a replacement such as a Nashville 400? Thanks Eddie
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hello Eddie,

I was wondering, is your power transformer burned or just not working?

.........Pat
Eddie Harper

Power

Post by Eddie Harper »

Hi Pat It doesnt have a Power Transformer in it. Someone was giving it away and I took it thinking i might by some chance find something that would work....Eddie
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hi Eddie,

I will try to look into the requirements of the transformer, such as voltage/current needs. I do not think the NV-400 transformer will work.....but, hey.....who knows.........let's see......

.....Pat
Eddie Harper

transformer

Post by Eddie Harper »

Thanks Pat. Much Appreciated...Eddie
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I have to wonder what killed the transformer? Have you found a schematic and the part number? I own a 1000 so I might be able to get the part number if it's not stuffed on the chassis inside. I thought these were a class D amp with a power supply. I think I had a schematic found online at one time. I had the chassis out long ago and replaced one of the pots for a broken shaft. I will have a look and see if I can help.
Pat Chong

Post by Pat Chong »

Hi Eddie,

I have a NV-1000, and measured the voltages:

Primary.....120vac
Secondary...34vac with center tap, about 3A.

The transformer in the NV-1000 is used to power the amp ic chips (+ and - 15vdc).

The low voltage secondary of the NV-400 transformer runs the ic chips, too, and should work, but it will add lots of weight. Along with that, there may be other problems with your NV-1000, too, besides just lack-of-power-transformer.

I don't know how familiar you are with this kind of work, Eddie, so I CAUTION you with this. The NV-1000 has a switching power supply for the amp output section (that's why there's no humongaloid power transformer).

Along with about 150vdc in the main power section, and +/- 60 vdc, these voltages are deadly! And the primary 150vdc is NOT ISOLATED from ground, so that's an additional threat.

So be VERY careful when working on this.

............Pat.
Eddie Harper

Power Transformer

Post by Eddie Harper »

Thanks Larry and Pat for the Information. I won't be doing the work for sure. I have a local Tech that repairs for Sam Ash and Guitar Center and has done work for me before. I was just trying to figure out something that would work. The weight wouldn't be an issue as it wouldn't be a gigging Amp. Thanks Eddie