Inspire you to play C6

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ron Hogan

Inspire you to play C6

Post by Ron Hogan »

I thought I'd throw this out again to inspire players on C6 tuning. You can get a lot with just 3 pedals and one knee lever to start.

https://youtu.be/j8WEGjNnBXM
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Well that is inspiring. But I think the part that trips me up along with others is the grips. Playing E9 the grips are more clear and I play 90% of my stuff with 2 pedals and the E lower. If I spent more time on C6 learning the grips and pedal combinations I'm sure it would make sense. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Larry Dering wrote:I play 90% of my stuff with 2 pedals and the E lower.
Me too, since I acquired an old 3 x 1 GS-10 bowlin' ball a couple of years ago. The trusty old 8 x 4 D-10 now mostly sits in its case. Sometimes I pine for the marginally superior ergonomics of the pro model, but the 40-50 pounds of extra weight are not missed one iota.

For C6 (and A6, Bb6, D6, etc.), I have a gaggle of lap steels. Not exactly the same, but close enough for me. And for 99% of the ragtime cowboy Joe Blows in the audience.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

Thank You Ron!!!
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Ron Hogan -

I completely agree with you that a C6th newbie can get 'One Heck of A Lot' out of the C6th neck with minimal pedal and knee lever moves.
Remember that 'the pioneers' had neither pedals nor knee levers!
Perhaps some folks are somewhat timid to begin their journey simply based on a fear of 'more pedals & knee levers And different grips.'

Those same folks will soon realize what fun they've been missing by just using their C6th neck as an arm rest.

My 'get to play C6th quick' recommendation to anyone that has not yet taken the C6th plunge, is to start off with some very simple 1, 4, 5 progressions working out of all 'Open Positions' - and Raking the Strings (initially not thinking about specific grips). Like raking strings 3 thru 7, or 4 thru 8, etc. for each of the 'Open Position' chords.

Play something really simple like 'Your Cheatin' Heart' or something just as easy - just to hear the '6th sounds.'

Then learn what the 6th pedal can do.

Then noodle around with the Open positions - and the Open Positions with P6 engaged........again going 'round the horn' on simple 1, 4, 5 progressions (and realizing how the 6th pedal functions similar to the AB pedals on the E9th neck).
You quickly recognize that you essentially have an 'Open position' and a 'Closed position' for each chord on the C6th neck (similar to E9th).

Then add the P5 changes into what you've previously learned.....the journey continues.

'remember how we all initially struggled with learning the grips, inversions, etc on the E9th neck?

Taking 'Baby steps' is the key to learning and not getting quickly discouraged.....

As you suggest, if folks would 'just take the C6th plunge,' they might realize how easy C6th is to play....and Fun to play.

True, we won't ever be BE or John Hughey, but we can all have fun amazing ourselves - and baffling our friends.

Take care Ron H. -

Ron F.
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

Ron Funk wrote:Ron Hogan -

I completely agree with you that a C6th newbie can get 'One Heck of A Lot' out of the C6th neck with minimal pedal and knee lever moves.
Remember that 'the pioneers' had neither pedals nor knee levers!
Perhaps some folks are somewhat timid to begin their journey simply based on a fear of 'more pedals & knee levers And different grips.'

Those same folks will soon realize what fun they've been missing by just using their C6th neck as an arm rest.

My 'get to play C6th quick' recommendation to anyone that has not yet taken the C6th plunge, is to start off with some very simple 1, 4, 5 progressions working out of all 'Open Positions' - and Raking the Strings (initially not thinking about specific grips). Like raking strings 3 thru 7, or 4 thru 8, etc. for each of the 'Open Position' chords.

Play something really simple like 'Your Cheatin' Heart' or something just as easy - just to hear the '6th sounds.'

Then learn what the 6th pedal can do.

Then noodle around with the Open positions - and the Open Positions with P6 engaged........again going 'round the horn' on simple 1, 4, 5 progressions (and realizing how the 6th pedal functions similar to the AB pedals on the E9th neck).
You quickly recognize that you essentially have an 'Open position' and a 'Closed position' for each chord on the C6th neck (similar to E9th).

Then add the P5 changes into what you've previously learned.....the journey continues.

'remember how we all initially struggled with learning the grips, inversions, etc on the E9th neck?

Taking 'Baby steps' is the key to learning and not getting quickly discouraged.....

As you suggest, if folks would 'just take the C6th plunge,' they might realize how easy C6th is to play....and Fun to play.

True, we won't ever be BE or John Hughey, but we can all have fun amazing ourselves - and baffling our friends.

Take care Ron H. -

Great post Ron F

Ron F.